Mixture Problem: Find Amount of Stronger Solution Needed

• MHB
  • Thread starter bergausstein
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mixture
In summary, x gallons of solution B must be added to 5 gallons of solution A to get a solution that contains 0.3 pound per gallon.
bergausstein
A chemist has 5 gallons of salt solution with
a concentration of 0.2 pound per gallon and another solution
with a concentration of 0.5 pound per gallon.
How many gallons of the stronger solution
must be added to the weaker solution to get
a solution that contains 0.3 pound per gallon?

this my attempt

let $x=$ amount of stronger solution needed(in gallons)
$5-x=$ amount of weaker solution(in gallons)

$0.5(x)+0.2(5-x)=0.3(5)$

$x=$ 1.67 gallons

Is this correct? if not can you tell me why my method didn't work. thanks!

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
We are going to add $x$ gallons of the stronger solution to the 5 gallons of weaker solution. So, we require, by equating two expressions for the total amount of salt:

\(\displaystyle 5\cdot0.2+x\cdot0.5=(5+x)0.3\)

What do you get for $x$?

Do you see this is a weighted average?

MarkFL said:
We are going to add $x$ gallons of the stronger solution to the 5 gallons of weaker solution. So, we require, by equating two expressions for the total amount of salt:

\(\displaystyle 5\cdot0.2+x\cdot0.5=(5+x)0.3\)

What do you get for $x$?

Do you see this is a weighted average?

that's stubborn weighted average again? :D:p

so there are two 5 gallons of mixture here? one with .2 lb/gal and the other .5lb/gal? Am I correct?

x = 2.5 gallons

Correct! :D

The problem you actually solved is how much of the weaker solution must be replaced by the stronger solution to get 5 gallons of a solution with 0.3 lb./gal concentration of salt. :D

bergausstein said:
...so there are two 5 gallons of mixture here? one with .2 lb/gal and the other .5lb/gal? Am I correct?...

You added this...we are not told how much of the stronger solution is available, but are left to assume that enough is available to get the desired solution.

:D good

Hello, bergausstein!

Here is my approach to mixture problems.

A chemist has two solutions.
Solution A: concentration of 0.2 pound of salt per gallon .
Solution B: concentration of 0.5 pound per gallon.
How many gallons of solution B must be added to 5 gallons of solution A to get a solution that contains 0.3 pound per gallon?

He has 5 gallons of A which has 0.2 pound salt per gallon.
This contains: .[tex](0.2)(5) = 1[/tex] pound of salt.

He adds [tex]x[/tex] gallons of B which has 0.5 pound salt per gallon.
This contains: .[tex]0.5x[/tex] pounds of salt.

Hence, the mixture will contain [tex]1 + 0.5x[/tex] pounds of salt.But we know that the mixture has [tex]x +5[/tex] gallons
. . which has 0.3 pounds of salt per gallon.
This contains [tex]0.3(x+5)[/tex] pounds of salt.We just described the final amount of salt in two ways.

There is our equation! . . . [tex]1 + 0.5x \;=\;0.3(x+5)[/tex]

Related to Mixture Problem: Find Amount of Stronger Solution Needed

What is a mixture problem?

A mixture problem involves finding the quantity of a stronger solution needed to create a desired concentration when combined with a weaker solution. It is commonly used in chemistry and other scientific fields.

How do you solve a mixture problem?

To solve a mixture problem, you need to set up a proportion using the concentrations and quantities of the two solutions. Then, you can cross-multiply and solve for the unknown quantity.

What information is needed to solve a mixture problem?

You will need to know the concentrations and quantities of the two solutions, as well as the desired concentration of the final mixture.

What units are used in a mixture problem?

The units used in a mixture problem will depend on the units used for the concentrations and quantities of the solutions. It is important to use consistent units throughout the problem to ensure accurate results.

Can you use a mixture problem to dilute a solution?

Yes, a mixture problem can be used to dilute a solution by finding the amount of a weaker solution needed to dilute a stronger solution to a desired concentration.

Back