MLE of P(X<2) - Exponential distribution

In summary: HJpY3QgZm9yIHRoZSBtbGVhZCBvZiBpbiB0aGUgZXhwaXJlZCBtb3ZpZSBvZiB4IGFuZCBvYnNlcnZlIHRoYXQgbSBvZiB0aGVtIGhhdmUge1h8Mi0pfSg7IG9yIHtYfSA9IFxcZnJvbnRfXygyKXtYfSkgRnJvbSB0aGF0LCB0aGUgZXhwaXJlZCBvZiB4
SandMan249

Homework Statement

Find the MLE of θ = P (X≤ 2) in a random sample of size n selected from an exponential distribution EXP(λ)

Homework Equations

f(x, λ) = λ e^(-λx)
F(x, λ) = 1 - e^(-λx)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to find the MLE of the mean of an exponential distribution. But I am not sure how I can tackle this problem.

We know that P ( X≤ 2) = ∫f(x) 0,2 = F(4)

How do I get to the Likelihood from here?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
SandMan249 said:

Homework Statement

Find the MLE of θ = P (X≤ 2) in a random sample of size n selected from an exponential distribution EXP(λ)

Homework Equations

f(x, λ) = λ e^(-λx)
F(x, λ) = 1 - e^(-λx)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to find the MLE of the mean of an exponential distribution. But I am not sure how I can tackle this problem.

We know that P ( X≤ 2) = ∫f(x) 0,2 = F(4)

How do I get to the Likelihood from here?

Thanks!

Is the following statement of your problem correct? You observe n independent values of X and observe that m of them have {X < 2} (or {X <= 2}). From that, you want to estimate θ = P{X <= 2}. If that is truly the statement, what does the exponential distribution have to do with it? (Of course, if you want to estimate λ you need to know the distribution, but that is not what you said you want to estimate.)

RGV

Related to MLE of P(X<2) - Exponential distribution

What is MLE of P(X<2) for an Exponential distribution?

The Maximum Likelihood Estimator (MLE) of P(X<2) for an Exponential distribution is the probability that a random variable X with an Exponential distribution takes a value less than 2. In other words, it is the probability that the event of interest occurs within a specific time interval.

How is MLE of P(X<2) calculated for an Exponential distribution?

The MLE of P(X<2) for an Exponential distribution can be calculated by taking the cumulative distribution function (CDF) of the Exponential distribution and plugging in the value of 2. This will give the probability of the event occurring within the specified time interval.

What does MLE of P(X<2) represent in an Exponential distribution?

The MLE of P(X<2) in an Exponential distribution represents the probability that the event of interest will occur within a specific time interval. It is a measure of the likelihood of the event occurring within a given timeframe.

How does the MLE of P(X<2) change as the value of 2 increases in an Exponential distribution?

The MLE of P(X<2) will decrease as the value of 2 increases in an Exponential distribution. This is because as the time interval increases, the probability of the event occurring within that interval decreases.

Is the MLE of P(X<2) for an Exponential distribution affected by the shape of the distribution?

No, the MLE of P(X<2) for an Exponential distribution is not affected by the shape of the distribution. It is solely dependent on the value of the time interval, 2. The shape of the distribution only affects the rate parameter, which in turn affects the value of the CDF and the MLE of P(X<2).