Mod-2 Function of A: Is it a Permutation?

• Thread starter Ilikecereal
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary, a mod-2 function for A is a function that gives the remainder when the input is divided by 2. In the given scenario, the function f is a permutation of A because it is a bijection from A to itself. This means that each element in A is mapped to a unique element in A, and vice versa. Therefore, f is a permutation of A.
Ilikecereal
4. Definition: A bijection from a set A to itself is called a permutation of A.

(i) Let A = {0, 1, 2, 3, 4} and let f : A -> A be the mod-2 function.
Is f a permutation of A? Justify your answerCan somebody explain how to find a mod-2 function for A? I know that a mod-2 function is basically the remainder of the input and 2.

Can't figure this out.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ilikecereal said:
4. Definition: A bijection from a set A to itself is called a permutation of A.

(i) Let A = {0, 1, 2, 3, 4} and let f : A -> A be the mod-2 function.
Is f a permutation of A? Justify your answer

Can somebody explain how to find a mod-2 function for A? I know that a mod-2 function is basically the remainder of the input and 2.

You have answered your own question: the mod-2 function gives you the remainder when the argument is divided by 2.

0 (mod 2)= ?
1 (mod 2)= ?
2 (mod 2)= ?
3 (mod 2)= ?
4 (mod 2)= ?

As you said, divide each by 2:
0 divided by 2= 0 with remainder 0.
1 divided by 2= 0 with remainder 1.
2 divided by 2= 1 with remainder 0.
3 divided by 2= 1 with remainder 1.
4 divided by 2= 2 with remainder 0.

Related to Mod-2 Function of A: Is it a Permutation?

What is a permutation?

A permutation is a way of arranging a set of objects in a specific order. It is a mathematical concept that is often used in statistics and probability.

How is a permutation different from a combination?

A permutation is an ordered arrangement of objects, while a combination is an unordered selection of objects. In other words, the order in which the objects are arranged matters in a permutation, but not in a combination.

What is the formula for calculating the number of permutations?

The formula for calculating the number of permutations is n!/(n-r)!, where n is the total number of objects and r is the number of objects being arranged.

Can A be repeated in a permutation?

No, in a permutation, each object can only be used once in the arrangement. This is what makes it different from a combination where objects can be repeated.

How can permutations be useful in real-world applications?

Permutations can be useful in various fields such as statistics, computer science, and cryptography. They can be used to calculate probabilities, generate unique passwords or codes, and analyze data in research studies.