Modal analysis - results exported - need to compute deflecti

In summary, the person is asking for help with computing deflections using modal superposition in a Fluid Structure Interaction (FSI) analysis. They have results from a modal analysis and fluid forces at each element, and are looking to combine them to get the deflections. The person also provides a link to a paper for further explanation.
nr765
Hello,

I have got results for a modal analysis (mesh of 150 shell elements) in ascii format. I have also got (from another process) forces to apply at each element; how do it compute the deflection? I get that it's a form of summation of all the modes, but I am stuck.

Thanks! BB

Engineering news on Phys.org
Sorry but your posting doesn't make any sense at all .

Please explain more clearly what you are trying to do .

Sorry! here are more details.
I have done a modal analysis in a FEA software, I have looked at the modal shapes and frequencies (i.e. checked that everything made sense).
I'd like to use those results in a Fluid Structure Interaction (FSI) analysis where deflections are computed using modal superposition.

So what I have are 1/ the modal analysis results and 2/ the fluid forces (at each element). I'd like to "combine" them to yield the deflections.

Thanks,
Bb

What I am trying to achieved is described in section 2.B of this [paper](http://resources.altair.com/altairatc.com/country/united%20kingdom/atc2013_altair_fs_bonus2.pdf).

Related to Modal analysis - results exported - need to compute deflecti

What is modal analysis?

Modal analysis is a technique used in science and engineering to determine the dynamic properties of a structure or system. It involves measuring the natural frequencies, mode shapes, and damping ratios of the system.

What are the results of modal analysis?

The results of modal analysis typically include a list of natural frequencies, corresponding mode shapes, and damping ratios. These results can be used to understand the dynamic behavior of the system and make design decisions.

How are the results of modal analysis exported?

The results of modal analysis can be exported in various formats, such as Excel or CSV files, depending on the software used. These files can then be opened in other programs for further analysis or visualization.

What is the purpose of computing deflection from modal analysis results?

Computing deflection from modal analysis results allows us to determine the displacement, velocity, and acceleration of a structure or system at different frequencies. This information is important for understanding the response of the system to external forces or vibrations.

What are some methods for computing deflection from modal analysis results?

Some common methods for computing deflection from modal analysis results include finite element analysis, mode superposition, and direct integration. Each method has its own advantages and limitations, and the choice of method depends on the specific application and system being analyzed.