Mode Expansion of Closed String with Compact Dimensions

In summary, the conversation discusses the implementation of a string in space with compactified dimensions and how to use the constraint to rederive the equation of motion from the general solution of the wave equation. The conversation also touches on the constraint on the values of the coefficients of the oscillatory modes and the use of a zero-mode contribution to take into account the circular dimension. The conversation ends with a thank you for the help.
benbenny
Im working through derivations of string equations of motion from the Nambu-Goto Action and I'm stuck on something that I think must be trivial, just a math step that I can't really see how to work through.
At this point I've derived the equation of motion for the closed string from the wave equation in a general [tex] \tau [/tex] gauge, and now I am trying to do the same but for a string in space with compactified dimensions. So I am trying to implement

[tex] X^i (\tau, \sigma) = X^i (\tau , \sigma +2\pi) +2\pi R_i W^i [/tex]

Where W is wrapping number of ther string around the dimension.

Now, without the compactified dimension it was simple to see the periodicity of the left moving wave and the right moving wave separately, and to expand using Fourier expansion and combine the 2 to get the equation of motion. But now I am stuck on how to use the constraint to again rederive the equation of motion from the general solution to the wave equation. how do you do the mode expansion now that you have this extra term of

[tex] 2\pi R_i W^i[/tex] ?

Thanks for any help.

B

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks, but I am afraid I wasn't able to find what I'm looking for there. I'm sure that because this is such a trivial step, it is not explicitly referred to in the literature. I've also looked in Zwiebach. Its a trivial step that eludes me however.

It seems from what I have read, that what arises from the implementation of the closed string in compact space constraint, is a constraint on the values of the constants [tex] a_0 ^i[/tex],
where [tex] a_n ^\mu[/tex] are the coefficients of the oscillatory modes in the equation of motion. ( \mu is regualr space coordinates and i denotes compact space coordinates).
I can't see how this comes about mathematically though.

Is what I'm asking clear?

Thanks again.

You need a zero-mode contribution that takes care of this. If I recall correctly from conformal field theory, which has a similar calculation, you need to implement something like

[tex]X(\tau,\sigma) = \ldots + R_iW^i \sigma +\ldots[/tex]

The terms in front are [itex]\sigma[/itex] independent. The latter terms are exponentials in [itex]\sigma[/itex] and do not change.

However, there is also a term [itex]\tau[/itex] times some coefficient. This coefficients also changes, but I don't know how.

Hope this helps a bit.

benbenny said:
Thanks, but I am afraid I wasn't able to find what I'm looking for there. I'm sure that because this is such a trivial step, it is not explicitly referred to in the literature. I've also looked in Zwiebach. Its a trivial step that eludes me however.

It seems from what I have read, that what arises from the implementation of the closed string in compact space constraint, is a constraint on the values of the constants [tex] a_0 ^i[/tex],
where [tex] a_n ^\mu[/tex] are the coefficients of the oscillatory modes in the equation of motion. ( \mu is regualr space coordinates and i denotes compact space coordinates).
I can't see how this comes about mathematically though.

Is what I'm asking clear?

Thanks again.

Since a circular dimension can be represented as \mathbb{R} where one identifies all points separated by 2*pi*R. So you can use the mode expansion for the non-compactified case, and just impose the restriction that comes from the space-identifications. Are you not doing this?

The periodicity condition only affect the components of X in the i-directions. In addition, the higher order terms [tex] a_n^{\mu}[/tex] for n>1 won't be accected by the circular dimension, because their accompanying sin() function in the mode expansion will automatically have the same value both at [tex]\sigma=0[/tex] and at [tex]\sigma=2\pi[/tex] (beware, some only use [tex]\sigma\in[0,\pi][/tex]).

So in the constraint equation in the i-direction reduces from

X(sigma=0) = X(sigma=2pi) + 2*pi*R*w

to something only involving the [tex]a^i_0[/tex] because all the other terms disappear automatically. I.e. to the usual formulas for the a0's in terms of the winding number w and the momentum number n.

Torquil

Last edited:
Thank you both for your replies.
Torquil, spelling it out for me helped thanks! I just wasn't looking at it correctly. its amazing how much time one can spend on these small math steps sometimes.

Cheers!

Related to Mode Expansion of Closed String with Compact Dimensions

What is the mode expansion of closed string with compact dimensions?

The mode expansion of closed string with compact dimensions is a mathematical framework used to describe the vibrational modes of a closed string in a spacetime with compact dimensions. It allows for the quantization of these modes and provides a way to calculate the energy spectrum of the string.

How does the mode expansion differ for compact dimensions compared to non-compact dimensions?

In non-compact dimensions, the mode expansion of a closed string is described by an infinite number of oscillatory modes. However, in compact dimensions, the modes are restricted due to the compact nature of the space. This leads to a discrete set of allowed modes and a finite energy spectrum.

What is the significance of compact dimensions in string theory?

Compact dimensions play a crucial role in string theory as they allow for the unification of quantum mechanics and general relativity. In traditional quantum field theory, it is not possible to have a consistent theory that includes both gravity and quantum mechanics. However, with the inclusion of compact dimensions, string theory provides a way to reconcile these two fundamental theories.

How are the compact dimensions chosen in string theory?

The size and shape of the compact dimensions are not determined by string theory itself, but rather by the specific compactification scheme chosen by the theorist. Different compactification schemes lead to different physical predictions, and thus, choosing the correct compactification is crucial in making accurate predictions.

Can the mode expansion of closed string with compact dimensions be tested experimentally?

Currently, there is no experimental evidence for the existence of compact dimensions. However, some theories, such as the Kaluza-Klein theory, make predictions that could potentially be tested in high-energy particle accelerators. Additionally, the effects of compact dimensions may also be observed through gravitational interactions at very small scales.