Model of the universe/s, multiverse's etc (just a thought nothing more )

• Thread starter great_sushi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Model
In summary, we can rule out orbital motion, and the universe is not infinite, but we don't know yet how big it is.
great_sushi
has anyone thought that our universe orbits with other universe's around a central core. our universe might not be infinite but because of the sheer size, we would never be able to comprehend the distances between the universe's. so we say that it is infinity as we can't put a magitude on the size yet. or maybe the other universes are in different dimensions so we would'nt be able to see them? In our galaxy there are solar systems etc orbiting together around a central black hole... could it be a similar concept but on a huge scale with universes. I have also heard that universes could overlap.
just a thought... wen i was in bed last night

Space news on Phys.org
Hi, great_sushi,

Welcome to PF!

We have a couple of entries in the https://www.physicsforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=206" that I think address some the questions you raise:

Can we tell whether the universe is rotating?
Is the universe finite, or is it infinite?

I think the first one explains how we can rule out orbital motion. The second one shows that the infinite/finite question is not something that we just have to speculate philosophically about. The description you've given also doesn't seem to allow for the observed fact that the universe is expanding.

If you want to get started learning about cosmology, a book I always recommend is Relativity Simply Explained by Martin Gardner. It's a little out of date, but it's well written and fun to read.

Please note that the PF rules prohibit overly speculative posts.

-Ben

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought that all celestial objects would be gravitationaly bound, but i was wrong. I thought that if gravity was everywhere in the universe surely if would need some angular velocity to stop itself from collapsing in on its self. ( i know that's one theory of the end of the universe).

A sort of thinking where everything would orbit around something. Like our planets orbit around our sun... our solar system orbits around the black hole in the centre of the milkyway. And i thought that a galaxy would have a huge gravitational field which could reach another mass over time, maybe it could orbit around something extremely far away which is extremely dense and massive... And other galaxies alike.

I thought that we had observed some evidence for a rotation, some indication of anisotropy in the electromagnetic propagation over large distances. But i could be wrong, that might explain something else. Am i completely wrong in thinking that a rotation could explain the doppler red shifts...
I am a newbie don't shout if I'm being a tit. i'll check that book out cheers

great_sushi said:
I thought that we had observed some evidence for a rotation, some indication of anisotropy in the electromagnetic propagation over large distances. But i could be wrong, that might explain something else. Am i completely wrong in thinking that a rotation could explain the doppler red shifts...

This is explained in the FAQ entry.

There have been many theories and speculations about the structure of the universe, including the possibility of a multiverse. While it is an interesting idea, there is currently no scientific evidence to support the existence of other universes orbiting around a central core. Our current understanding of the universe is based on observations and data gathered through various scientific methods, and these have not provided any evidence for a multiverse.

Additionally, the concept of infinity is a mathematical concept and does not necessarily apply to physical objects like the universe. We may never be able to fully comprehend the vastness of the universe, but that does not mean it is infinite.

The idea of universes existing in different dimensions is also a popular concept, but again, there is no scientific evidence to support it. While it is possible that there are other dimensions beyond our own, it is currently beyond our understanding and cannot be proven or disproven.

As for the idea of universes overlapping, this is not a concept that is supported by scientific evidence. Each universe, if it exists, would have its own unique properties and would not be able to overlap with another.

It is important to remember that scientific theories and ideas must be supported by evidence and observations. While it is interesting to consider different possibilities and theories, it is also important to approach them critically and with a scientific mindset.

FAQ: Model of the universe/s, multiverse's etc (just a thought nothing more )

1. What is the current accepted model of the universe?

The current accepted model of the universe is the Big Bang theory. It proposes that the universe began as a singularity, a point of infinite density and temperature, approximately 13.8 billion years ago. From this singularity, the universe expanded and cooled, eventually leading to the formation of galaxies, stars, and planets.

2. Is the Big Bang the only theory about the origin of the universe?

No, there are alternative theories about the origin of the universe, such as the steady-state theory and the oscillating universe theory. However, the Big Bang theory is currently the most widely accepted explanation, supported by a wealth of observational evidence.

3. What is a multiverse?

A multiverse is a hypothetical concept that suggests the existence of multiple universes beyond our own. These universes may have different physical laws, constants, and dimensions, allowing for a vast range of possible realities.

4. How is the existence of a multiverse supported?

The existence of a multiverse is still a topic of debate and is not yet fully supported by scientific evidence. Some theories, such as inflationary cosmology, suggest that the rapid expansion of the universe during the first fractions of a second after the Big Bang could have created multiple universes. Other theories, such as string theory, also propose the existence of a multiverse.

5. What implications does the concept of a multiverse have on our understanding of the universe?

The concept of a multiverse challenges our understanding of the universe and raises questions about the nature of reality. It also has implications for the anthropic principle, which suggests that the universe must have the necessary conditions for the existence of intelligent life, as the existence of a multiverse could provide an explanation for the seemingly perfect conditions for life in our universe.