Modeling a Black Box Circuit for Maximum Power Transfer

In summary, the person is asking for help on finding the current (i) when the resistor is 4 ohm and the voltage is varying. They are also seeking advice on what type of circuit to use to solve the problem and how to use external data points to determine the parameters of the circuit.
haha1234

Homework Statement

The question is showed as below.

Homework Equations

I don't know how to find i when the resistor is 4 ohm.
I think it is quite difficult as the voltage is varying all the time.
So how do I find the current?
Thanks!

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• 未命名.png
    未命名.png
    66.8 KB · Views: 396
Physics news on Phys.org
Relevant equations are those equations you feel are relevant to the type of problem, not a continuation of the problem statement.

What sort of circuit might you replace the internals of the black box with in order to give you something to work with? You have several external data points you can use to determine the parameters of that circuit model (think: simultaneous equations, solve for required parameters).

FAQ: Modeling a Black Box Circuit for Maximum Power Transfer

1. What is maximum power transfer?

Maximum power transfer is a concept in electrical engineering that refers to the condition where the maximum amount of power is transferred from a source to a load. This occurs when the impedance of the load is equal to the impedance of the source.

2. How is maximum power transfer achieved?

Maximum power transfer is achieved by matching the impedance of the source to the impedance of the load. This can be done by adjusting the load resistance or using a matching network.

3. Why is maximum power transfer important?

Maximum power transfer is important because it ensures that the most efficient use of energy is achieved in a circuit. It also helps to prevent damage to components due to overloading.

4. What happens if the impedance of the load is not matched to the source impedance?

If the impedance of the load is not matched to the source impedance, the power transfer will be less efficient and some of the energy will be lost as heat. This can also lead to voltage and current fluctuations, which may cause damage to components.

5. Can maximum power transfer be achieved in all circuits?

No, maximum power transfer can only be achieved in circuits where the source and load impedances can be matched. In some circuits, such as AC circuits with reactive components, maximum power transfer may not be possible.

Back