Modeling a quad rotor vibrations

In summary, the conversation discusses a system of five coupled ODEs modeling a quad X rotor, where the arms are viewed as end loaded cantilever beams with motors attached. The equations and initial conditions for the system are being determined, with the addition of gravity being considered. There is also a discussion about the correct formulation of the equations and the use of a figure to clarify the coordinate system being used. The conversation ends with a disagreement about the need for a figure and the attitude of the person seeking help.
Dustinsfl

Homework Statement

I have a system of five coupled ODEs. I believe I should be able to reduce it down to four coupled ODEs, but I am not sure how. This system is modeling a quad X rotor where the arms are viewed as end loaded cantilever beams with motors attached.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

\begin{align}
m_{eq}\ddot{y}_1 &= k_{eq}(y_5 - y_1) + c(\dot{y}_5 - \dot{y}_1) + F_1(t)\tag{1}\\
m_{eq}\ddot{y}_2 &= k_{eq}(y_5 - y_2) + c(\dot{y}_5 - \dot{y}_2) + F_2(t)\tag{2}\\
m_{eq}\ddot{y}_3 &= k_{eq}(y_5 - y_3) + c(\dot{y}_5 - \dot{y}_3) + F_3(t)\tag{3}\\
m_{eq}\ddot{y}_4 &= k_{eq}(y_5 - y_4) + c(\dot{y}_5 - \dot{y}_4) + F_4(t)\tag{4}\\
m_t\ddot{y}_5 &= F_1(t) + F_2(t) + F_3(t) + F_4(t) \tag{5}
\end{align}

This system is modeling the vibrations of quadrotor due to the motors spinnings. Also, I am trying to determine the initial conditions too. If we assume at ##t = 0##, we have no displacement then ##y_i(0) = 0## and ##\dot{y}_i = a_i\delta(t)##. My thought on the initial velocity is at ##t = 0## the rotors start running at flying speed (instantly to make the problem easier). Would this be the correct way to model the initial velocity? Also, ##F_i(t) = c_i\cos(\omega t + \phi_i)## where ##c_i## are the amplitudes, ##\omega## the rad/sec of the rotors, and ##\phi## the phase offset.

Is equation (5) correct for modeling the movement of the center of the quadrotor?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you have a picture showing the system and your coordinates?

Dr.D said:
Do you have a picture showing the system and your coordinates?

I am using z to denote the displacement of the body (where the arms connect) only. Also, I am viewing the arms as cantilever beams with an end load.

It is just a normal X quad rotor. I have, also, made some adjustments. I think the system should be of the form:
1. I noticed I neglected gravity. Would that be simple adding the term
##-m_{eq}y_i## to equations one to four and ##-m_bz##? Or is it more
involved?
2. Do I still need ##m_t\ddot{y}_5 = \sum_iF_i(t)## any more? Is it correct in this form?

Here is one of my thoughts for final system of ODE form. Is it correct?
\begin{align}
m_{eq}\ddot{y}_1 &= k_{eq}(z - y_1) + c(\dot{z} - \dot{y}_1) - m_{eq}y_1 +
F_1(t)\\
m_{eq}\ddot{y}_2 &= k_{eq}(z - y_2) + c(\dot{z} - \dot{y}_2) - m_{eq}y_2 +
F_2(t)\\
m_{eq}\ddot{y}_3 &= k_{eq}(z - y_3) + c(\dot{z} - \dot{y}_3) - m_{eq}y_3 +
F_3(t)\\
m_{eq}\ddot{y}_4 &= k_{eq}(z - y_4) + c(\dot{z} - \dot{y}_4) - m_{eq}y_4 +
F_4(t)\\
m_b\ddot{z} &= \sum_i\bigl[F_i(t) + k_{eq}(y_i - z) +
c(\dot{y}_i - \dot{z})\bigr] - m_bz\\
m_t\ddot{y}_5 &= \sum_iF_i(t) - m_ty_5\tag{6}\\
Y &= \frac{m_bz + \sum_im_{eq}y_i}{m_t}\tag{7}
\end{align}
Is equation (6) needed? It is modeling the overall displacement of the quadrotor. Equation (7) is my constraint.

Dustinsfl said:
It is just a normal X quad rotor.

I don't speak quad rotor, so I probably cannot help you without a figure,

I did not see a single one of those figures that identified with certainty the coordinate you are using. If you cannot be bothered to draw a figure, then please don't expect too much help.

Dr.D said:
I did not see a single one of those figures that identified with certainty the coordinate you are using. If you cannot be bothered to draw a figure, then please don't expect too much help.
I guess I need to break it down Barney style for you. There are 4 arms so y_i where i is 1,2,3,4 are the arm displacement. I then said the body I am using z. That means the equation which isn't a constraint must be the displacement of the whole quad rotor if we view it as a rigid body. Also the arms have the rotors so the forcing functions should have been a give away too. Equation 7 is a COM constraint equation. Are you sure you are a Dr of anything?

If I were interested in working this problem myself, I would not need to ask for help. I'm not interested in the problem personally, so anything I have said was intended to get you thinking straight. Without a good figure, you are not likely to ever get the problem in hand.

I see some problems with your formulation, but I'm not going to try to point them out to you. It would require a figure, and you evidently consider such a thing childish and beneath your dignity.

Don't worry too much about my Ph.D., even though it is almost 50 years old. It is still quite durable.

I don't think I have any more time for you.

Related to Modeling a quad rotor vibrations

1. What is a quad rotor?

A quad rotor, also known as a quadcopter, is a type of unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) that is propelled by four rotors.

2. Why is it important to model quad rotor vibrations?

Modeling quad rotor vibrations is important because it allows us to understand and predict the behavior of these vehicles, which is crucial for their safe and efficient operation.

3. What factors affect quad rotor vibrations?

There are several factors that can affect quad rotor vibrations, including the size and weight of the vehicle, the design and placement of the rotors, and external factors such as wind and turbulence.

4. How do you model quad rotor vibrations?

There are various methods for modeling quad rotor vibrations, but one common approach is to use mathematical equations and computer simulations to represent the physical behavior of the vehicle and its components.

5. What are some applications of quad rotor vibration modeling?

Quad rotor vibration modeling has many applications, including the design and optimization of quadcopters for various purposes such as aerial photography, search and rescue, and delivery services. It is also used in research and development for improving the performance and stability of these vehicles.