Modeling Deceleration of Object Towed in Water

In summary, the conversation is about a modelling project involving an object being towed in water and the force that acts on it when the towing force is removed. The speaker is trying to find the distance the object will travel before coming to rest, taking into consideration factors such as its shape and water resistance. They also discuss the relationship between drag and velocity and how it affects the object's movement.
marawan
So this is about a modelling project I'm doing.

If you have an object that was being towed in water and the towing force is suddenly removed. There is a force F=1/2(density of fluid)(C constant)(A)V^2 that acts on the object. I am trying to find the distance X it will take for the object to come to rest. If its initial velocity V is known. Say V is 3.5 m/s.

Physics news on Phys.org
hi there

I would imagine the shape of the object, how deep it sits in the water, smoothness of its surface
would also have significant effects on how far it would travel ... maybe other factors as well

consider the difference between the bow ( pointy end) of a boat and the stern, the flat end
and the effect that would have

Dave

Hello dave,

I am allowed to make assumptions obviously. The object is rectangular in nature. My issue is that the water resistance force is variable as it is dependent on the velocity of the object and the object is decelerating. So how could one find the distance X the object travels before it comes to rest is my question.

I think first you need to know how drag depends on velocity. If it was being towed at constant speed then the tension in the towing rope will be equal to drag at that velocity. So that's one point on the curve. Another is the origin. Finally you need to know if it's proportional to velocity, velocity2, or velocity3 etc

Related to Modeling Deceleration of Object Towed in Water

1. What is deceleration?

Deceleration is the rate at which an object's velocity decreases. It is the opposite of acceleration, which is the rate at which an object's velocity increases.

2. How is deceleration calculated?

Deceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. This is represented by the formula: a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is the deceleration, vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time interval.

3. What factors affect the deceleration of an object towed in water?

The deceleration of an object towed in water is affected by several factors, including the shape and size of the object, the speed at which it is being towed, the density of the water, and the presence of any external forces such as wind or currents.

4. How can modeling help in studying deceleration of objects towed in water?

Modeling allows scientists to simulate different conditions and variables in a controlled environment, which can help in understanding the factors that affect deceleration in objects towed in water. It can also help in predicting the deceleration of objects under different circumstances.

5. What are some real-world applications of studying deceleration of objects towed in water?

Studying deceleration of objects towed in water has practical applications in fields such as marine engineering, naval architecture, and boat design. It can also be applied to improve the performance and safety of water sports equipment such as water skis and wakeboards.