Modeling Quadratic Air Resistance in 2-D using Mathematica

In summary: I don't see any reason why it should be wrong. You could try deleting the x and y variables from the list of variables to solve for, but I don't think that would solve the problem.In summary, the person is working on a project to analyze a video and determine if it is real or a hoax. They have modeled the football as a prolate spheroid with an elliptical cross section and have calculated the density, mass, and initial conditions for the football. They are using Mathematica to solve the differential equations for the motion of the football, but are experiencing an error and are seeking help.
Yosty22

Homework Statement

I am working on a little project in which I analyze a video I found online and try to determine if it is real of a hoax. The video I am analyzing includes a man throwing a football off of a football stadium (at the very top) and making it into a basketball hoop at field level. I have looked up everything I believe I need to try to set up the problem, and here is what I have:

1. The football will be modeled as a Prolate spheroid with an elliptical cross section of area pi*a*b where a and b are radii (a>b). I have determined that a = 0.2794m and b=0.0859m, making the cross sectional area about 0.078m2.
2. As I am modeling this using quadratic air resistance, given my fquad = F - cv2, where c is determined by the density of the air (which is about 1.225 kg/m3 and the cross-sectional area. That is, with these values, c = 0.09559 kg/m.
3. the mass of the football is about 14 ounces, which is about 0.397 kg.
4. I am only considering the x and y equations of motion, as I am assuming the football doesn't move much in or out of the page, just up and down in y and forwards in x.
5. Then, the equations of motion are:
mx'' = mv' = -c*sqrt(vx2+vy2)*vx.
my'' = my' = -mg-c*sqrt(vx2+vy2)*vy.

Initial Conditions: vx(t=0) = 25 mph = 11.176 m/s. vy(t=0) = 0. x(t=0) = y(t=0) = 0.

I've never used mathematica before, but the mechanics book I am using (Taylor's Classical Mechanics) suggests that the NDSolve

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

As I've said, I've never used Mathematica, but using a few guides, my code (which is wrong) to start, is:

NDSolve[{x''[y, t] == -c/m * sqrt (x'[t]^2 + y'[t]^2) x'[t],
y''[x, t] == -g - c/m * sqrt (x'[t]^2 + y'[t]^2) y'[t] , x[0] == 0,
y[0] == 0, x'[0] == 11.176, y'[0] == 0}, x, y, {t, 0, 10}]

with variables defined:

m = 0.396893;
c = 0.078;
g = 9.8;

Trying to run this, I get the error: "The length of the derivative operator Derivative[2] in x''[y,t] is not the same as the number of arguments.

I am extremely lost as to how to solve these differential equations with a set of initial conditions.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yosty22 said:
NDSolve[{x''[y, t] == -c/m * sqrt (x'[t]^2 + y'[t]^2) x'[t],
y''[x, t] == -g - c/m * sqrt (x'[t]^2 + y'[t]^2) y'[t] , x[0] == 0,
y[0] == 0, x'[0] == 11.176, y'[0] == 0}, x, y, {t, 0, 10}]

You are working with parametric equations each as a function of time, but you have defined the second derivative as a function of two variables; it should just read x''[t]==... I also think you need curly brackets around the x-y pair before you give the time interval (i.e. y'[0]==0, {x,y}, {t,0,2}]

Other than that it looks good

Related to Modeling Quadratic Air Resistance in 2-D using Mathematica

1. What is the purpose of modeling quadratic air resistance in 2-D using Mathematica?

The purpose of this model is to accurately predict the trajectory of an object in two dimensions while taking into account the effects of air resistance. This can be useful in various fields such as physics, engineering, and sports.

2. How is air resistance modeled in this simulation?

In this simulation, air resistance is modeled using the quadratic drag equation, which takes into account the velocity and the squared velocity of the object. This is based on the assumption that air resistance is directly proportional to the square of the velocity of the object.

3. What are the inputs required for this model?

The inputs required for this model include the initial velocity of the object, the mass of the object, the air density, the cross-sectional area of the object, and the drag coefficient. These inputs can be adjusted to simulate different scenarios and objects.

4. How accurate is this model in predicting the trajectory of an object?

The accuracy of this model depends on the accuracy of the inputs and the assumptions made. In general, this model is a good approximation for objects moving through air at moderate speeds. However, for objects moving at high speeds or in non-standard atmospheric conditions, the accuracy may be reduced.

5. Can this model be used to simulate real-life scenarios?

Yes, this model can be used to simulate real-life scenarios as long as the inputs are accurately determined. It can be particularly useful in predicting the trajectory of projectiles, such as golf balls, baseballs, or arrows, in various conditions. However, it is important to note that this model is not a substitute for real-world experiments and should be used for educational and predictive purposes only.