Modeling the Diffusion of Fluorophores - Boundary Conditions Question

In summary, the conversation is about solving a diffusion equation in cylindrical coordinates with a source term and applying appropriate boundary conditions. The initial condition is that the concentration of fluorophores is constant throughout a large volume, and at the boundaries, the concentration is also constant. The speaker is looking for help on how to apply these boundary conditions to the differential equations that arise from separating variables.
phil ess
I am trying to model the diffusion of fluorophores in a cell with a source in the middle by solving the appropriate differential equation. I can solve the PDE easily enough, however as I haven't done DE's in a while, I need a refresher on how to apply the appropriate boundary conditions for my problem!

I am basically solving the diffusion equation with a source term in cylindrical coordinates with no theta dependence. Initially the concentration of fluorophores is C(r,z,t=0)=C0, and I am assuming a sufficiently large volume that the net concentration of fluorophores is basically constant, and that at large r and z, C(r,z,t)=C0.

How do I impose these boundary conditions mathematically when solving the diffusion equation? I have looked for online resources but it's difficult to find anything that addresses this specifically.

Any help is greatly appreciated! Also, if more information is needed please let me know!EDIT

Ok it seems easy enough, duh, the boundary conditions are just C(r,infinity,t)=C(infinity,z,t)=C0 ?

And of course I assume a solution of the form C(r,z,t)=R(r)Z(z)T(t)

So does the initial condition then imply that R(r)Z(z)=C0?

And what about the others?

Solving by separation I find a first order DE for T(t), a second order Bessel type for R(r) and another second order for Z(z), but again, I don't remember how to apply these boundary conditions!

Thanks again!

EDIT

I guess it would probably be useful to see the equation I am solving!

[tex]\frac{dC(r,z,t)}{dt} = -I \stackrel{2}{} (r,z) + D \nabla\stackrel{2}{} C(r,z,t)[/tex]

Where the Del operator is in cylindrical coordinates with no theta dependence, as noted above

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
.For the boundary conditions, I think what you said is correct, C(r,z,t)=C0 for r-> infinity, z-> infinity.And for the initial condition, it is C(r,z,t=0)=C0.The last thing I need to figure out is how to apply these conditions to the two second order DEs that I get after separating variables.Thanks again!

Related to Modeling the Diffusion of Fluorophores - Boundary Conditions Question

1. What is the purpose of modeling the diffusion of fluorophores?

The purpose of modeling the diffusion of fluorophores is to simulate and understand the movement and distribution of these fluorescent molecules in a given system. This can help researchers predict and optimize experimental conditions, as well as gain insights into the underlying physical and chemical processes involved.

2. What are the key factors that influence the diffusion of fluorophores?

The diffusion of fluorophores is primarily influenced by the size and shape of the molecules, as well as the properties of the surrounding medium such as viscosity, temperature, and concentration gradients. The presence of boundaries or barriers can also significantly affect the diffusion behavior.

3. How are boundary conditions taken into account in modeling the diffusion of fluorophores?

Boundary conditions, which describe the interactions between the fluorophores and the system boundaries, are incorporated into the diffusion model through mathematical equations or computational algorithms. These conditions can include reflective, absorptive, or permeable boundaries, and they help to determine the behavior of the fluorophores at the edges of the system.

4. What are some common techniques used for modeling the diffusion of fluorophores?

Some commonly used techniques for modeling the diffusion of fluorophores include random walk simulations, Monte Carlo methods, and analytical solutions of diffusion equations. Each of these approaches has its own advantages and limitations, and the choice of technique depends on the specific research question and system being studied.

5. How accurate are the predictions from models of fluorophore diffusion?

The accuracy of predictions from diffusion models depends on several factors, such as the complexity and realism of the model, the accuracy of input parameters, and the degree of agreement between the model and experimental data. While models can provide valuable insights and predictions, they should always be validated and refined with experimental results for greater accuracy.

Back