Modelling Gravitational Motion

In summary, the conversation involves someone seeking help with modelling gravitational motion using a spreadsheet and discussing the calculations involved with Newton's laws of gravitation and motion. They are also advised to start with a simpler calculation to better understand the concept.
microguy
Modelling "Gravitational" Motion

Hi All,

I am new here and this is not a homework question... I'm turning 40 this year and my retention of physics is low to say the least. I am trying to rekindle some knowledge... Just for fun!

I am trying to use a spreadsheet to model the motion of a system of two particles under gravitational-type forces where one particle has a fixed position and the other is given an initial position and velocity vector. Both particles also have a known mass, e.g.,

P1(m1,x1,y1) [fixed position]
P2(m2,x2,y2,v2)

The way I'm approaching this, P2 should move predictably in a time-slice dt. P2 is influenced by its momentum as well as the "gravitational" attraction to P1.

I can figure the "gravitational" force vector with no problem.

The thing I am hung up on is how to figure the contribution of P2's momentum. I'm not even sure I'm using the correct term here. Once I know how to calculate this vector correctly, I think I can do the math.

Please let me know if anything is unclear.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

Maybe something along these lines

F=Gm1m2/(distance between the masses)2 [Newton's law of gravitation]

F=m2(change in velocity)/(change in time) [Newton's 2nd law of motion]

Combining the two laws

Gm1m2(change in time)/(distance between the masses)2=m2(change in velocity)

You can cancel m2 out, and start with 1D motion to see if it makes sense. There's a minus sign somewhere you have to take care of, but I don't remember - just choose it so that gravity attracts, not repels the masses.

Edit: Actually, you can start out with a calculation in which gravity is constant (ie. not dependent on the distance between the masses), just to see if it makes sense. Of course, that result will only be correct over short distances, but it sometimes helps to start with a simple situation.

Last edited:

Thanks for that! This makes sense and you helped me notice something I was not doing quite right.

Related to Modelling Gravitational Motion

1. What is gravitational motion?

Gravitational motion refers to the movement of objects under the influence of gravitational force, which is the force of attraction between two objects due to their mass.

2. How is gravitational motion modeled?

Gravitational motion is typically modeled using Newton's laws of motion and the law of universal gravitation, which states that the force of attraction between two objects is directly proportional to their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

3. What factors affect gravitational motion?

The factors that affect gravitational motion include the masses of the objects, the distance between them, and any other external forces acting on the objects.

4. Can gravitational motion be predicted?

Yes, gravitational motion can be predicted using mathematical models and equations based on Newton's laws of motion and the law of universal gravitation. However, factors such as the presence of other objects and external forces can also affect the accuracy of these predictions.

5. How is gravitational motion related to celestial bodies?

Gravitational motion is a key factor in the movement of celestial bodies, such as planets, moons, and stars, in our universe. The gravitational pull between these objects is what keeps them in orbit and determines their paths and movements.