Modern VLSI Textbook Recommendations for Technological Advancements

In summary, Digital Integrated Circuits by Jan M. Rabaey is a good book to consider if you are studying VLSI. Kang and Leblebici is also a good book, but it is more comprehensive and focuses more on the device physics.
leright
VLSI textbook...

Could someone recommend me a good technologically up to date book on VLSI? I am studying the 4th edition of streetman right now, but the VLSI stuff is a bit outdated.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Digital Integrated Circuits by Jan M. Rabaey is basically the textbook for VLSI. I've used it for two VLSI courses and it's very good.

Rabaey is popular, but a lot of people seem to complain that it's description of some important topics is somewhat incomplete.

Kang and Leblebici is actually very thorough, and treats things very rigourously - plus it describes the device physics very precisely as well. Downside - it can be rather expensive new.

Thank you both for your advice. I have been considering Rabaey, and I have been watching his video lectures posted on his website (they are quite good), but I will also consider Kang nd Leblebici. jbusc, I already have a grounding in solid state devices (I have already worked through Streetman cover to cover) so I am not looking for a devices text. I am looking for a text that focuses primarily on VLSI and integrated circuits.

The professor that typically teaches the VLSI course at my school recommended Mead, but it was published in 1980. That's an awful long time ago, especially in this subject...

Don't get me wrong, Kang+Leblebici is primarily a VLSI design text, and focuses primarily on design and methodology, etc., and assumes you've had some prerequisite course on basic solid state devices (though it does not really assume that much).

What I was trying to say was that it is comprehensive at the same time, and doesn't ignore the device physics (like some VLSI books do) but rather explains how they fit into the context of cmos transistor-level design.

jbusc said:
Don't get me wrong, Kang+Leblebici is primarily a VLSI design text, and focuses primarily on design and methodology, etc., and assumes you've had some prerequisite course on basic solid state devices (though it does not really assume that much).

What I was trying to say was that it is comprehensive at the same time, and doesn't ignore the device physics (like some VLSI books do) but rather explains how they fit into the context of cmos transistor-level design.

I'll check it out. Thanks a lot.

Related to Modern VLSI Textbook Recommendations for Technological Advancements

1. What is VLSI technology?

VLSI stands for Very Large Scale Integration and refers to the process of creating integrated circuits (ICs) with a large number of transistors on a single chip. This technology has revolutionized the electronics industry and has allowed for the creation of smaller, faster, and more powerful electronic devices.

2. What is the purpose of a VLSI textbook?

A VLSI textbook serves as a comprehensive guide to understanding the principles, design, and implementation of VLSI technology. It covers topics such as circuit design, layout, testing, and fabrication processes.

3. How do I choose the right VLSI textbook for my needs?

When choosing a VLSI textbook, it is important to consider your level of knowledge and the specific topics you are interested in. Look for textbooks that have clear explanations, practical examples, and up-to-date information on the latest technological advancements.

4. Can a VLSI textbook provide recommendations for technological advancements?

Yes, a good VLSI textbook should not only cover the fundamentals of VLSI technology but also provide insights and recommendations for future advancements. This can include discussions on emerging technologies, design methodologies, and challenges in the field.

5. Are there any recommended VLSI textbooks for beginners?

Yes, there are several recommended VLSI textbooks for beginners, such as "CMOS VLSI Design: A Circuits and Systems Perspective" by Neil H.E. Weste and David Harris, and "Introduction to VLSI Circuits and Systems" by John P. Uyemura. It's important to choose a textbook that aligns with your learning goals and level of understanding.