Modifying Coulomb's Law for Use in Particle Energy (chemistry)

In summary, you start with the original form of coulomb's law, which is F=kQ1Q2/D^2. You then use the equation df/dr=r^k to find a solution for f(r). The differential is k=-2 and is found by solving for r in the equation df/dr=r^k.
STEM2012
New to PF.

How is the "original" form of coulomb's law F=kQ1Q2/D^2 derived into the modified chemistry form used to predict the energy released when bonds form (or the inverse), E=kQ1Q2/r?

Please describe your mathematical steps. Feel free to just post links explaining this. I've searched everywhere...I'm only a high school student, trying to write a book but do not have the greatest resources.

Thanks in Advance

Physics news on Phys.org
E equals the integral of Force*dx. So that's how you get from force to energy (and vica versa). There's actually a minus sign E=-kQ1Q2/r. There's also a constant of integration but we conventionally say the two particles have zero potential energy when they are infinite distance apart.

Okay, now that the relationship between E and F is established, I can say that
dE/dx=-kQ1Q2/d^2. Bu from here, how do I get to the modified form, where r is the denominator.

dE/dr=(kQ1Q2)r^-2. No minus sign here. We'll ignore the denominator and just say r is raised to the negative two power.

The general form, when df/dr=r^k has solution f(r)=(1/(k+1))r^(k+1).

Ok. So we plug in k=-2 and get (-1)r^(-1). So restoring the constants E=kQ1Q2(-1)r^(-1).

Ok. I understand how you integrated from dF/dr=r^k to find a solution, but how the heck did you get that differential to begin with? Also, I don't understand where did the k=-2 come from?

Keep in mind, I'm only in high school and my highest level of math education is AP calc AB (which is calc I and half of calc II) so you probably have to be more thorough then when you're usually talking to mathemeticians, physicists, etc.

Thanks

Related to Modifying Coulomb's Law for Use in Particle Energy (chemistry)

1. How can Coulomb's Law be modified for use in particle energy?

Coulomb's Law can be modified by including the concept of energy in the equation. This can be achieved by replacing the traditional distance term with the distance squared and introducing a constant factor representing the energy of the particles. The modified equation would be: F = kq1q2/r2 * E, where E is the energy of the particles.

2. Why is it necessary to modify Coulomb's Law for particle energy?

Modifying Coulomb's Law for particle energy allows for a more accurate calculation of the forces between charged particles at different energy levels. This is important in fields such as chemistry, where the behavior of particles at different energy levels can greatly impact chemical reactions and processes.

3. What is the significance of including the distance squared term in the modified equation?

The distance squared term in the modified equation accounts for the change in distance between charged particles as their energy levels change. This is important because the distance between particles can greatly impact the strength of the electrostatic force between them.

4. How does the modified Coulomb's Law affect our understanding of particle energy?

The modified Coulomb's Law provides a more comprehensive understanding of the relationship between charged particles and their energy levels. It allows for a more accurate calculation of the forces between particles at different energy levels, providing valuable insights into their behavior and interactions.

5. Are there any limitations to using the modified Coulomb's Law in particle energy calculations?

While the modified Coulomb's Law is a useful tool in understanding particle energy, it may not be applicable in all situations. It assumes that the particles are point charges and may not account for other factors such as the shape and size of the particles. Additionally, the constant factor representing the energy of the particles may need to be adjusted for different types of particles or energy levels.