Modifying Guitar Signal with Diode for Even Harmonics

• Thread starter chaoseverlasting
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Signal
In summary, the speaker has been working on a guitar effects project and needs help adding even harmonics to the signal. They have used a diode and low pass filter to add and filter out higher frequency components, respectively. They used a differential amplifier to remove the original input, and then another diode to get the even harmonics. They are unsure of the accuracy and effectiveness of this method and are considering using a frequency doubler instead of rectification. The diode equation can be found on Wikipedia.
chaoseverlasting
I've been working on a guitar effects project for a while and I need a little help. What I want to do is add even harmonics to the signal. The way I've gone about it is this:

I've used a diode to add harmonics to the signal. At very low volatages (<1v) the diode current may be approximated as [tex] ax+a_2x^2+...[/tex] where x is the input signal of frequency w.

Then I've used a low pass filter to filter out the higher frequency components (greater than 2w).

Since the above expansion for diode current comes from the taylor series of the diode equation, a=1.

I've then used a differential amplifier to remove the original input (x) to get the [tex]x^2[/tex] term only, which I put through another diode to get my even harmonics.

The problem is, I don't know how accurate or effective this method will be. I've lost my Pspice cd and I don't want to build this thing only to find out that it doesn't quite work.

For the diode equation, here's a wiki link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diode

The equation is about half way down the page.

Engineering news on Phys.org

Related to Modifying Guitar Signal with Diode for Even Harmonics

1. What is a diode and how does it affect guitar signal?

A diode is an electronic component that allows current to flow in only one direction. When placed in a guitar's signal path, it clips the waveform and introduces even harmonics, which can create a warmer and more distorted tone.

2. How do I modify my guitar signal with a diode?

To modify your guitar signal with a diode, you can either place the diode in series with the signal path, between the guitar and amplifier, or you can use a pedal that has a diode clipping circuit built in.

3. What are even harmonics and why are they desirable?

Even harmonics are frequencies that are multiples of the original signal's frequency. They are desirable because they can add richness and warmth to the tone of a guitar, making it sound more pleasing to the ear.

4. Are there any risks or drawbacks to using a diode to modify guitar signal?

There are some risks and drawbacks to using a diode to modify guitar signal. If not used correctly, it can cause unwanted distortion and noise. Additionally, using too many diodes or placing them in the wrong part of the signal path can result in a harsh or unpleasant tone.

5. Can I achieve the same effect as a diode by using a distortion pedal?

While some distortion pedals do use diodes in their circuitry, they often have additional components that alter the signal in different ways. As a result, the effect of a diode on guitar signal may not be exactly replicated by a distortion pedal. However, using a distortion pedal can still provide a similar distorted sound to a diode, depending on the specific pedal's design.