Molar Mass of Graphene and its strength

In summary, the conversation revolved around the topic of graphene and the speaker's ideas for its potential applications. They expressed a need for more information on graphene's molar mass and physical strength, but were informed that there is no exact molar mass for graphene. The speaker then shared their idea of using graphene in body armor, based on its strength, but expressed doubts about its feasibility.
kaelibw
Hi. After i first heard about graphene, a few ideas started forming in my head. but before i can even tell if they would work or not, I need some information on graphene i can't seem to find anywhere else. For one thing its molar mass and another, its physical strength.

Physics news on Phys.org
No such thing as molar mass of graphene. It is not a single molecule, with well defined formula. In a way it is similar to polymers - for a polymer, at best you can say what is the average molar mass in the sample, but technically there is no upper limit on that number.

If you don't know that, I am afraid you are trying to run before knowing how to walk.

yeah...i think it would probably be a good idea to actually explain my ideas. hopefully someone could help with that at least. my main idea is basically using graphene in place of the silicon carbide used in Dragonskin body armor. to be honest this idea just came from some information saying that graphene is about 200 times stronger than steel. i actually doubt it would work but i might as well see what you guys think.

Related to Molar Mass of Graphene and its strength

What is the molar mass of graphene?

The molar mass of graphene is approximately 12.01 grams per mole. This is the average mass of one mole of graphene atoms, which is equivalent to 6.022 x 10^23 atoms.

How is the molar mass of graphene calculated?

The molar mass of graphene is calculated by adding up the atomic masses of all the carbon atoms in one mole of graphene. Since each graphene molecule contains six carbon atoms, the molar mass is equal to 6 times the atomic mass of carbon.

What is the strength of graphene?

Graphene is known for its exceptional strength. It has a tensile strength of approximately 130 gigapascals (GPa), making it one of the strongest materials known to man. This means that it can withstand a force of up to 130 GPa before breaking.

How does the molar mass of graphene affect its strength?

The molar mass of graphene does not directly affect its strength. However, the quality and purity of the graphene used can impact its strength. High-quality graphene with a high molar mass will have fewer defects and impurities, making it stronger.

Can the molar mass of graphene be altered to improve its strength?

No, the molar mass of graphene cannot be altered as it is a characteristic property of the material. However, researchers are constantly working on improving the production and synthesis of graphene to create stronger and more pure forms of the material.