Molar Ratio Problem: Find Ethane to Methane

• Thread starter ƒ(x)
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ratio
Sure, no problem. Just make sure to double check your calculations to avoid mistakes in the future. Good luck with your studies!In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving mixed amounts of methane and ethane at STP and finding the ratio of ethane to ethane in the resulting mixture with a density of 1.18 g/L. The solution involves using the ideal gas law and converting to moles to determine the molar fraction of each gas, resulting in a 1:4 ratio. However, the original attempt at the solution was incorrect and led to a 1:3 ratio, which was later corrected.
ƒ(x)

Homework Statement

Unknown amounts of methane and ethane are mixed at STP. The resulting mixture has a density of 1.18 g/L. Find the ratio of ethane to ethane.

The Attempt at a Solution

Since it's a ratio, we can convert it to 1 mol methane : X mol ethane

1 L methane at STP = [itex]\frac{RT}{P}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{.08206 * 273}{1}[/itex] = 22.402 mol

X L ethane at STP = 22.402X mol

d = [itex]\frac{m}{V}[/itex]
1.18 = [itex]\frac{1.18(22.402 + 22.402*X)}{2*22.402}[/itex]
1 = X

So it's a 1:1 ratio.

I was talking to someone who's better at chemistry than I am, and he said it got a 1:4 ratio. Plus, this method doesn't seem right since I didn't use the masses of CH4 or C2H6 (which would mean that there would always be a 1:1 ratio, regardless of the compounds). How do I do this?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You are wrong from the start - V is not RT/P, 1L is not 22.4 moles. Quite the opposite - 1 mole is 22.4 liters.

Hint: for ideal gas there is a simple dependence between molar mass and density. And "molar mass" in the case of a gas mixture can be expressed as a weighted (by molar fractions) average of molar masses of components.

Borek said:
You are wrong from the start - V is not RT/P, 1L is not 22.4 moles. Quite the opposite - 1 mole is 22.4 liters.

Hint: for ideal gas there is a simple dependence between molar mass and density. And "molar mass" in the case of a gas mixture can be expressed as a weighted (by molar fractions) average of molar masses of components.

So...

n = PV/RT, setting V = 1 gets .044 mol of CH4 and .044*X mol C2H6.

1.18 = (.044*16+.044*X*30)/(2)

X = 1.22...so it's 1:1.22 which is about 4:5?

My teacher gave me this question btw, the choices for the answer were:

A) 1:2
B) 1:4
C) 1:1
D) 4:1
E) none of the above

Borek said:

I know that d = PM/RT, where M is the molar mass.

I solved for it and got M = 26.434 g/L, but don't know where to go from there.

Imagine you have 1 mole of mixture. Assume molar fraction of one gas is x. That means you have x moles of one gas and 1-x of another, and total mass is x*molar mass of the first gas + (1-x)* molar mass of the second gas. Total mass of one mole is just a molar mass. Can you calculate amounts of both gases in the mixture?

Borek said:
Imagine you have 1 mole of mixture. Assume molar fraction of one gas is x. That means you have x moles of one gas and 1-x of another, and total mass is x*molar mass of the first gas + (1-x)* molar mass of the second gas. Total mass of one mole is just a molar mass. Can you calculate amounts of both gases in the mixture?

x mol CH4
1-x mol C2H6

16*x + 30*(1-x) = 26.434
-14*x = -3.566
x ~ .25

So it's a 1:4 ratio.

Why is the way I did it in my second post incorrect though?

Edit: Nevermind

ƒ(x) said:
x ~ .25

So it's a 1:4 ratio.

If x is 0.25, it is 1:3, or 1 in 4, but not 1:4. For 1:4 you would need x=0.2.

Yeah, I know - there is 1:3 answer. But that's not my fault.

Borek said:
If x is 0.25, it is 1:3, or 1 in 4, but not 1:4. For 1:4 you would need x=0.2.

Yeah, I know - there is 1:3 answer. But that's not my fault.

Eh...I'm not a fan of my chem professor.

Thanks for walking me through this.

Oops, I meant "there is no 1:3 answer". But you probably got it.

Related to Molar Ratio Problem: Find Ethane to Methane

1. What is the molar ratio problem?

The molar ratio problem is a chemistry concept that involves determining the ratio of moles of one substance to another in a chemical reaction. This ratio is important in predicting the amount of product that will be formed.

2. How do you find the molar ratio of ethane to methane?

To find the molar ratio of ethane to methane, you need to first balance the chemical equation for the reaction. Then, you can use the coefficients of the balanced equation to determine the molar ratio between the two substances.

3. Why is the molar ratio important in chemistry?

The molar ratio is important in chemistry because it allows us to predict the amount of product that will be formed in a chemical reaction. This information is crucial in industrial processes and laboratory experiments.

4. Can the molar ratio change in a chemical reaction?

Yes, the molar ratio can change in a chemical reaction if the coefficients in the balanced equation are not in the simplest whole number ratio. This can happen if there are impurities or side reactions present.

5. How can the molar ratio be used to determine the limiting reactant?

The molar ratio can be used to determine the limiting reactant by comparing the actual molar ratio of the reactants with the ideal molar ratio calculated from the balanced equation. The reactant with the smaller molar ratio is the limiting reactant, as it will run out first and limit the amount of product that can be formed.