Molar Solutions with percent concentrations

• Thread starter NoobSandwich
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Percent
In summary, the molecular weight of NaCl is 58.54. A 1 M solution of NaCl has 58.54 g NaCl dissolved in distilled water to a total volume of 1000 mL or 1 L. A .1 M solution has 5.854 g/L and a .2 M solution has 11.71 g/L. To find the molarity of a solution, divide the grams per liter by the molecular weight. For a 5% w/v NaCl solution, the molarity would be 0.854 M. For a 2M NaCl solution, the percent concentration would be 117.08 g/L. To make up 100 mL of a .5M solution
NoobSandwich
1. The molecular weight of NaCl is 58.54. A 1 M solution of NaCl has 58.54 g NaCl dissolved in distilled water to a total volume of 1000 mL or 1 L. a .1 M solution has .854 g/L. A .2 M solution has 11.71 g/L.

Qustion 1 - What is the molarity of a 5% w/v NaCl solution?

Question 2 - What is the percent concentration of a 2M NaCl solution?

Question 3 - The molecular weight of glucose is 180.16. Describe how you would make up 100 mL of a .5M solution.

2. The only equation I have come up with is Molarity*Volume = grams/molecular weight. But I have no clue if that is relevant or what to do with it.

3. All I have been able to do is verify what the information gives me such as:

1 x 1 = 58.54/58.54

.1 x 1 = 5.84/58.54

.2 x 1 = 11.71/58.54

But I don't know where percentage comes into this at all. I haven't been able to find any examples on the internet that show me how to even begin solving these questions.

Physics news on Phys.org
NoobSandwich said:
1. The molecular weight of NaCl is 58.54. A 1 M solution of NaCl has 58.54 g NaCl dissolved in distilled water to a total volume of 1000 mL or 1 L. a .1 M solution has .854 g/L. A .2 M solution has 11.71 g/L.

The 0.1 M solution must be 5.854 g/L not .854 g/L.

Do I need to explain that 5% w/v means 5 g/L?

You can do the first two questions without even knowing what M or molecular weight even mean, by simple proportions.

Though you cannot get anywhere in chemistry without knowing what they mean - you must surely find something in your textbook, course notes or internet.

Sorry, yes it is 5.854 g/L.

For the first question would the answer be .08 M then? The second question confuses me though...I get 117.08 as the answer but how does that make sense as a percentage?

And for whatever reason I've got to do this worksheet for my biology class...I'm not sure why and the last time I studied chemistry was 4 years ago so I have very little idea about what all of this is and my teacher didn't give us any instruction other than to complete it.

Thanks for the response.

NoobSandwich said:
Sorry, yes it is 5.854 g/L.

For the first question would the answer be .08 M then? The second question confuses me though...I get 117.08 as the answer but how does that make sense as a percentage?

And for whatever reason I've got to do this worksheet for my biology class...I'm not sure why and the last time I studied chemistry was 4 years ago so I have very little idea about what all of this is and my teacher didn't give us any instruction other than to complete it.

Thanks for the response.
:blushing:
I am sorry, of course 5% w/v means 5g/100 ml i.e. 50g/l

I'm really confused.

For question one, does:

M = (50 g/l)/(58.54)

?

Even correcting for that mistake your first answer to Q1 would not have been right.

For you second answer 117.08 is the right number, but pure numbers do not mean anything in this sort of question. It is 117.08 g/l. Not hard to work out how many g per 100 ml which is the w/v %. Again quote the units.

And since your information was given to 4 significant figures, the answers can be too.

Your teacher probably thinks the relevant concepts are so elementary that even someone who has forgotten most of his chemistry still knows them, so I recommend you revise moles, molarity and why they are used.

NoobSandwich said:
I'm really confused.

For question one, does:

M = (50 g/l)/(58.54)

?

Sort of, the molarity is 50/58.54, the solution is (50/58.54) M.

So for question one the answer is 50/58.54 M, which is .854 M.

For question two, I did (117.08 x 100)/1000 and got 11.7%.

For the third question I did:

(100/1000)*(.5) = x/180.16

and got 9 grams(?). So would that mean dissolving 9 grams of glucose in the 100 mL of solution? Or am I completely wrong?

NoobSandwich said:
So for question one the answer is 50/58.54 M, which is .854 M.

For question two, I did (117.08 x 100)/1000 and got 11.7%.

For the third question I did:

(100/1000)*(.5) = x/180.16

and got 9 grams(?). So would that mean dissolving 9 grams of glucose in the 100 mL of solution? Or am I completely wrong?

Q1 is right.

also agree with Q2

Q3 9 g near enough. I get 9.01 g .

Not completely wrong - wording makes me not sure what you meant. You are making the solution by dissolving the glucose in water not in solution. What you should do to be accurate is add water to your glucose until the total volume is 100 ml. It says w/v - weight/volume. That does not make exactly 100 ml of water, though not far off. You can't practically calculate how much water, but you don't need to.

Ok I think I understand it all now. Thank you for all of your help!

FAQ: Molar Solutions with percent concentrations

What is a molar solution?

A molar solution is a type of solution where the concentration is expressed in moles of solute per liter of solution (mol/L). It is a common way to measure the concentration of a substance in a solution.

How is the concentration of a molar solution calculated?

The concentration of a molar solution can be calculated by dividing the number of moles of solute by the volume of the solution in liters. This is represented by the formula c = n/V, where c is the concentration, n is the number of moles, and V is the volume in liters.

What is percent concentration in a molar solution?

Percent concentration in a molar solution is a way of expressing the concentration as a percentage of the total volume. It is calculated by multiplying the molar concentration by 100%. For example, a 1M solution would have a percent concentration of 100%.

How is a molar solution prepared?

To prepare a molar solution, a specific amount of solute is dissolved in a known volume of solvent. The amount of solute needed can be calculated using the desired concentration and volume of the solution. The solute is then added to the solvent and mixed until fully dissolved.

What is the difference between a molar solution and a normal solution?

A molar solution is a type of solution where the concentration is expressed in moles per liter, while a normal solution is a type of solution where the concentration is expressed in equivalents per liter. The difference lies in the units used to express the concentration, with moles being a measure of the number of particles and equivalents being a measure of the chemical activity of the solution.