Moment about a point in an incline plane

In summary, the conversation is about determining the moment produced by a perpendicular force of 460 N acting on an inclined plane, and calculating the components of the moment using vector components. The attempted solution and resulting force vector are given, but the answer is incorrect according to the website masteringengineering.com. The question remains, is the magnitude of the force truly 460 N?
Robb

Homework Statement

Probs._448_49.jpg

Force F = 460 N acts perpendicular to the inclined plane

Determine the moment produced by F about point A.
Enter the x, y, and z components of the moment separated by commas.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

r(CA)=4j-3k
u(CA)=4/5j-3/5k

r(CB)=-3i+4j
u(CB)=-3/5i+4/5j

u(CA) x u(CB)=1.28i+.36j+.48k
F=460(1.28i+.36j+.48k)=589i+166j+221k

r(CA) x F=1382i-1767j-2356k

masteringengineering.com says the answer is wrong. Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Robb said:
F=460(1.28i+.36j+.48k)=589i+166j+221k
Is the magnitude of this force 460 N?

Related to Moment about a point in an incline plane

1. What is a moment about a point in an incline plane?

A moment about a point in an incline plane refers to the tendency of a force to cause rotation around a specific point on a tilted surface.

2. How is the moment about a point in an incline plane calculated?

The moment about a point in an incline plane is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the perpendicular distance from the point to the line of action of the force.

3. What is the difference between a moment about a point and a moment about an axis?

A moment about a point refers to the rotation around a specific point, while a moment about an axis refers to the rotation around an imaginary line passing through the object.

4. How does the angle of inclination affect the moment about a point in an incline plane?

The angle of inclination affects the moment about a point in an incline plane by changing the perpendicular distance from the point to the line of action of the force, thus altering the magnitude of the moment.

5. What are some real-life applications of moments about a point in an incline plane?

Moments about a point in an incline plane are commonly used in engineering and construction to determine the stability and balance of structures such as bridges and buildings. It is also important in physics and mechanics to understand the rotational motion of objects on inclined surfaces.