Moment Direction: 560sin30 (0.25) Explained

In summary, the moment of the 560 lb force is negative (clockwise) because the force is located below the hinge pin.
werson tan

Homework Statement

why the moment 560sin30 (0.25) isn't in clockwise direction ? the horizontal component of the 560N force is directed to the left , causing the moment in clockwise direction, am i right ?
I have made my sketch beside in the diagram ...

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• 95.png
    95.png
    100.1 KB · Views: 367
Physics news on Phys.org
The point of application of the 560 lb force is 0.25 ft above the hinge pin, not below as you have drawn it.

Mister T said:
The point of application of the 560 lb force is 0.25 ft above the hinge pin, not below as you have drawn it.
Why it can't be below the 0.25ft??

I don't understand your question. What I'm saying is, when I look at the figure you posted, I see that the point of application of the force is above the hinge pin.

Look at the figure. Draw a line parallel to the concrete shoot that passes through the hinge pin and call it Line P. Draw another line parallel to the first line, but passing through the point of application of the 560 lb force. Call it Line A. Those two lines are separated by a distance of 0.25 ft. Line P is above Line A. The sketch you made in the margin is consistent with Line A being above Line P. Your way means the moment of the 560 lb force is negative (clockwise). But in reality the force creates a positive moment. It will tend to make the chute rotate counter-clockwise.

werson tan said:
Why it can't be below the 0.25ft??
Take a line through G parallel to the chute. Follow it up to where it is near A. It passes above A, at a distance of 0.25 ft from A.
The component of the 560lb parallel to the chute acts through G, down the slope. The moment of it about A is therefore anticlockwise.

Mister T said:
I don't understand your question. What I'm saying is, when I look at the figure you posted, I see that the point of application of the force is above the hinge pin.

Look at the figure. Draw a line parallel to the concrete shoot that passes through the hinge pin and call it Line P. Draw another line parallel to the first line, but passing through the point of application of the 560 lb force. Call it Line A. Those two lines are separated by a distance of 0.25 ft. Line P is above Line A. The sketch you made in the margin is consistent with Line A being above Line P. Your way means the moment of the 560 lb force is negative (clockwise). But in reality the force creates a positive moment. It will tend to make the chute rotate counter-clockwise.
I said that is clockwise becoz I thought that the force is located below the 0.25m ...ok, I know my mistakes already

FAQ: Moment Direction: 560sin30 (0.25) Explained

1. What is the definition of moment direction?

The moment direction refers to the direction in which a force is applied to an object in order to create a turning effect or moment.

2. How is the moment direction calculated?

The moment direction is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the force by the perpendicular distance from the axis of rotation to the line of action of the force. This can be represented mathematically as M = Fd, where M is the moment, F is the force, and d is the distance.

3. What does 560sin30 (0.25) represent in the moment direction formula?

560sin30 (0.25) represents the magnitude of the force multiplied by the perpendicular distance in the moment direction formula. In this case, the force is 560 N and the distance is 0.25 m.

4. How does the angle affect the moment direction?

The angle affects the moment direction by determining the direction in which the force is applied relative to the axis of rotation. A force applied at an angle will have a greater or lesser moment depending on the angle, as the perpendicular distance from the axis of rotation changes.

5. Why is the sine function used in the moment direction formula?

The sine function is used in the moment direction formula because it allows for the calculation of the perpendicular distance from the axis of rotation to the line of action of the force. This distance is necessary to determine the moment, and the sine function allows for its calculation when the angle between the force and the axis of rotation is known.