Moment Generating Function Given pdf

In summary, the problem involves finding the expected value of W^k where W is the maximum of two independent exponential distributions with rates λa=2 and λb=3. The solution involves finding the pdf of W and then using the moment generating function to calculate E(W^k). The second part of the problem involves finding the probability that X/(X+Y) falls within a specific range.
Aaron10

Homework Statement

X is distributed exponentially with λa=2. Y is distributed exponentially with λb = 3. X and Y are independent.
Let W=max(X,Y), the time until both persons catch their first fish. Let k be a positive integer. Find E(W^k).

Also, find P{(1/3)<X/(X+Y)<(1/2)}

Homework Equations

f(X) = λa e^(-λa x)
f(Y) = λb e^(-λb y)
f(X,Y) = f(X)f(Y)
Mx(t) = E(e^t)
Mx^k(0)=E(W^k)

The Attempt at a Solution

I found f(w)=3e^(-3w)+2e^(-2w)-5e^(-2w-3w) but not sure where to go from here

Physics news on Phys.org
Having found the pdf of W, how do you calculate its moment generating function?
(You quote that it's E[et], but it's E[etW].)

That's correct, sorry, typo on my part. It's actually where to go from there that confuses me. I know the ∫0 to ∞((e^tw)f(w)dw gives me Mw(t), so I think ∫0 to ∞ ((w^k)f(w))dw should give me E(W^k), but I don't know how to actually find this or if it is the best way to approach it.

Also, I got the second probability part on my own. I really just need help with the E(W^k).

I have f(w) = 3e^(-3w)+2e^(-2w)-5e^(-5w), w>0 for the pdf, but I am not sure how to proceed to E(W^k) from here.

Aaron10 said:

Homework Statement

X is distributed exponentially with λa=2. Y is distributed exponentially with λb = 3. X and Y are independent.
Let W=max(X,Y), the time until both persons catch their first fish. Let k be a positive integer. Find E(W^k).

Also, find P{(1/3)<X/(X+Y)<(1/2)}

Homework Equations

f(X) = λa e^(-λa x)
f(Y) = λb e^(-λb y)
f(X,Y) = f(X)f(Y)
Mx(t) = E(e^t)
Mx^k(0)=E(W^k)

The Attempt at a Solution

I found f(w)=3e^(-3w)+2e^(-2w)-5e^(-2w-3w) but not sure where to go from here
In other words,
[tex] f(w) = 2e^{-2w} + 3 e^{-3w} - 5e^{-5w} = f_2(w) +f_3(w) - f_5(w),[/tex] where f_r(w) is the exponential density for rate r. Do you know how to compute
[tex] E_r(W^k) \equiv \int_0^{\infty} r e^{-rw} w^k \, dw ?[/tex]

Ray Vickson said:
In other words,
[tex] f(w) = 2e^{-2w} + 3 e^{-3w} - 5e^{-5w} = f_2(w) +f_3(w) - f_5(w),[/tex] where f_r(w) is the exponential density for rate r. Do you know how to compute
[tex] E_r(W^k) \equiv \int_0^{\infty} r e^{-rw} w^k \, dw ?[/tex]

My solution: E(X^k) for an exponential is k!/(λ^k), so E(W^k) = k!/(3^k)+k!/(2^k)-k!/(5^k) = k!(10^k + 15^k - 6^k)/(30^k). Say λ=r, and this is exactly what you are saying, yes?

If not, then I am not sure how to compute an integral involving (w^k)e^(-rw)...

Aria1 said:
My solution: E(X^k) for an exponential is k!/(λ^k), so E(W^k) = k!/(3^k)+k!/(2^k)-k!/(5^k) = k!(10^k + 15^k - 6^k)/(30^k). Say λ=r, and this is exactly what you are saying, yes?

Just to be accurate: No, you are saying it, not me. However, your result is correct.

Related to Moment Generating Function Given pdf

What is a moment generating function (MGF)?

A moment generating function is a mathematical function that provides a way to calculate all the moments of a probability distribution. It is defined as the expected value of the exponential function of a random variable.

How is the MGF related to the probability density function (PDF)?

The MGF can be used to determine the moments of a probability distribution, which in turn can be used to calculate the PDF. The MGF is essentially a tool for finding the moments, while the PDF provides information about the probability of different outcomes.

What is the importance of the MGF in statistics?

The MGF is a powerful tool in statistics as it allows for the calculation of moments of a probability distribution, which are important measures in describing the shape and characteristics of a distribution. It also allows for the calculation of moments for complex or non-standard distributions that cannot be easily calculated by hand.

How is the MGF used in hypothesis testing?

The MGF is used in hypothesis testing to calculate the probability of obtaining a certain sample mean or other statistic, given a specific null hypothesis. This allows for the determination of the likelihood of the observed data under the null hypothesis, which is a key component in hypothesis testing.

What are the limitations of using the MGF in statistics?

While the MGF is a powerful tool, it does have some limitations. It may not exist for all distributions, particularly those with heavy tails or infinite moments. It also may not be easy to calculate for complex distributions, and may require numerical methods. Additionally, the MGF can only provide information about the moments of a distribution, and may not fully describe the entire shape or characteristics of the distribution.