Moment of inertia about center of mass with four holes?

In summary: The disk is 4 kg, and the mass of the disk without the holes is 6 kg.So, the mass of the disk with the holes is 4 kg. (??Please check the problem statement carefully. Homework Statement What is the moment of inertia of the 4 kg disk below when it rotates about the center of mass? The mass of the disk without the holes is 6 kg.Apparent INCONSISTENCY in the problem as stated.If it's assumed that the original disk has uniform density...then1. The disk is 4 kg, and the mass of the disk without the holes is 6 kg.So, the mass of the disk with the holes is
tshah321

Homework Statement

What is the moment of inertia of the 4 kg disk below when it rotates about the center of mass? The mass of the disk without the holes is 6 kg

screenshot_52.png

Homework Equations

Center of mass equation: (1/M)(∫xdm)
Moment of inertia of a disk: I = 0.5mr2
Parallel axis theorem: I = Io + md2

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to find the moment of inertia of the disk without the holes using m = 6 kg and r = 0.12 m.

I = 0.5(6 kg)(0.12 m)2 = 0.0432 kgm2

I think I'm supposed to subtract each hole's moment of inertia from 0.0432, but am unsure how to find each circle's radius. Is it simply r = 0.05m? Or is it 0.06m? Or is my line of thinking totally off?

Physics news on Phys.org
tshah321 said:

Homework Statement

What is the moment of inertia of the 4 kg disk below when it rotates about the center of mass? The mass of the disk without the holes is 6 kg

.View attachment 92585

Homework Equations

Center of mass equation: (1/M)(∫xdm)
Moment of inertia of a disk: I = 0.5mr2
Parallel axis theorem: I = Io + md2

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to find the moment of inertia of the disk without the holes using m = 6 kg and r = 0.12 m.

I = 0.5(6 kg)(0.12 m)2 = 0.0432 kgm2

I think I'm supposed to subtract each hole's moment of inertia from 0.0432, but am unsure how to find each circle's radius. Is it simply r = 0.05m? Or is it 0.06m? Or is my line of thinking totally off?
The figure shows that the diameter of one of the circular cutouts is 6 cm. What's the radius of the circle then?

BTW, the 5 cm radius represents an imaginary circle, presumably on which the centers of the cutouts are located.

Definitely missed that. So r = 0.03m, and then the mass of each is 0.5kg.

The moment of inertia of each is I = mr2, so I = (0.5)(0.03)2 = 0.00045 kgm2

So I would just multiply that by 4, then subtract it from 0.0432? @SteamKing

tshah321 said:
Definitely missed that. So r = 0.03m, and then the mass of each is 0.5kg.

You might want to check that mass for each cutout.
The moment of inertia of each is I = mr2, so I = (0.5)(0.03)2 = 0.00045 kgm2

The MOI of each cutout is I = mr2 about its own centroid.
So I would just multiply that by 4, then subtract it from 0.0432? @SteamKing

How do you calculate the MOI when it is not taken about the centroid of the body?

SteamKing said:
You might want to check that mass for each cutout.

The mass without the cutouts of the entire disk is 6kg, and with the cutouts it is 4kg. So the mass of all 4 cutouts is 2kg, so each cutout is 2kg/4 = 0.5kg. Is there something wrong there?

The MOI of each cutout is I = mr2 about its own centroid.

Yes, so I believe I did that right, unless I missed something when finding the mass of each cutout.

How do you calculate the MOI when it is not taken about the centroid of the body?

I was under the impression that the center of mass of the disk was here: http://s7.postimg.org/hbvdnoygb/screenshot_54.png
So I would use the moment of inertia of the whole disk without the holes, 0.0432 kgm2 and then take the moment of inertia of each cutout and subtract it from the total moment of inertia.

tshah321 said:
The mass without the cutouts of the entire disk is 6kg, and with the cutouts it is 4kg. So the mass of all 4 cutouts is 2kg, so each cutout is 2kg/4 = 0.5kg. Is there something wrong there?

Yes, so I believe I did that right, unless I missed something when finding the mass of each cutout.

I missed the part of the OP which said that the mass w/cutouts was 4 kg.

I was under the impression that the center of mass of the disk was here: http://s7.postimg.org/hbvdnoygb/screenshot_54.png
So I would use the moment of inertia of the whole disk without the holes, 0.0432 kgm2 and then take the moment of inertia of each cutout and subtract it from the total moment of inertia.

The center of mass is indeed where you have marked it in the image. But this location is not the same as the centroid for each individual cutout.

The formula I = mr2 is applicable only when calculating the MOI of a circular disk about its own center. When the center of the cutout and the center of the disk do not coincide, what else must you do to calculate the correct MOI? (Hint: Parallel Axis Theorem).

SteamKing said:
The center of mass is indeed where you have marked it in the image. But this location is not the same as the centroid for each individual cutout.

The formula I = mr2 is applicable only when calculating the MOI of a circular disk about its own center. When the center of the cutout and the center of the disk do not coincide, what else must you do to calculate the correct MOI? (Hint: Parallel Axis Theorem).
I don't understand, though. Doesn't each cutout have its own center of mass, therefore making it okay to use I = mr2?

tshah321 said:
I don't understand, though. Doesn't each cutout have its own center of mass, therefore making it okay to use I = mr2?
Yes, but the problem is asking you to calculate the MOI of the large disk which contains the 4 cutouts. The center of that large disk and the center of each of the four cutouts is not in the same location. Simply subtracting the MOI of each cutout from the MOI of the large disk does not lead to the correct result.

BTW, did you examine what the parallel axis theorem is used for?

tshah321 said:

Homework Statement

.View attachment 92585
Apparent INCONSISTENCY in the problem as stated.

If it's assumed that the original disk has uniform density and thickness, then there appears to be an inconsistency in the parameters given for the disk with the cutouts.

The total area of the disk before cutouts being removed: 144π cm2 .

The total area of the cutouts: 4×9π = 36π cm2.

Therefore, removing the cutout areas reduces the overall area by 1/4 .

According to the masses given, 1/3 of the material is removed.

This won't be important for solving the problem, but it would be important if you compare the moment of inertia of this disk with cutouts to the moment of inertia of a solid disk having the same mass and radius as the cutout disk.

SammyS said:
Apparent INCONSISTENCY in the problem as stated.

If it's assumed that the original disk has uniform density and thickness, then there appears to be an inconsistency in the parameters given for the disk with the cutouts.

The total area of the disk before cutouts being removed: 144π cm2 .

The total area of the cutouts: 4×9π = 36π cm2.

Therefore, removing the cutout areas reduces the overall area by 1/4 .

According to the masses given, 1/3 of the material is removed.

This won't be important for solving the problem, but it would be important if you compare the moment of inertia of this disk with cutouts to the moment of inertia of a solid disk having the same mass and radius as the cutout disk.
You are certainly right about this point, SammyS.

Related to Moment of inertia about center of mass with four holes?

1. What is the formula for calculating moment of inertia about the center of mass with four holes?

The formula for calculating moment of inertia about the center of mass with four holes is I = Σm_i r_i^2, where I is the moment of inertia, m_i is the mass of each hole, and r_i is the distance of each hole from the center of mass.

2. How does the location of the holes affect the moment of inertia about the center of mass?

The location of the holes affects the moment of inertia about the center of mass as it changes the distribution of mass around the center of mass. If the holes are closer to the center of mass, the moment of inertia will be smaller, and if the holes are farther away, the moment of inertia will be larger.

3. Can the moment of inertia about the center of mass with four holes be negative?

No, the moment of inertia about the center of mass with four holes cannot be negative. Moment of inertia is always a positive quantity as it represents the resistance of an object to changes in its rotational motion.

4. How does the shape of the holes affect the moment of inertia about the center of mass?

The shape of the holes does not affect the moment of inertia about the center of mass. As long as the holes have the same mass and are equidistant from the center of mass, the moment of inertia will be the same regardless of their shape.

5. Can the moment of inertia about the center of mass with four holes be greater than the moment of inertia of a solid object with the same mass?

Yes, the moment of inertia about the center of mass with four holes can be greater than the moment of inertia of a solid object with the same mass. This is because the distribution of mass around the center of mass is different for the two objects, even though they have the same mass.