Moment of inertia about z-axis in spherical coordinates

In summary, the problem is to find the moment of inertia about the z-axis of a solid of uniform density bounded by a hemisphere and a cone, using spherical coordinates. The correct setup for the integral is I_z = k \int^{2\pi}_{0}\int^{\pi/2}_{\pi/4}\int^{1}_{0}\rho^2 sin\varphi*d\rho*d\varphi*d\theta, with the incorrect use of \sin^2 \varphi and incorrect limits for \rho. The correct book answer is \frac{k\pi}{192}.
clairez93

Homework Statement

Use spherical coordinates to find the moment of inertia about the z-axis of a solid of uniform density bounded by the hemisphere [tex]\rho=cos\varphi[/tex], [tex]\pi/4\leq\varphi\leq\pi/2[/tex], and the cone [tex]\varphi=4[/tex].

Homework Equations

[tex]I_{z} = \int\int\int(x^{2}+y^{2})\rho(x, y, z) dV[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to convert that equation to cylindrical coordinates and got this (k representing density because it's uniform)

[tex]I_{z} = k \int^{2\pi}_{0}\int^{\pi/2}_{\pi/4}\int^{1}_{0}\rho^2 sin^{2}\varphi*d\rho*d\varphi*d\theta[/tex]

Plugged that into my calculator and got:

[tex]\frac{k\pi(\pi+2)}{12}[/tex]

The book answer is:
[tex]\frac{k\pi}{192}[/tex]

What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
clairez93 said:

Homework Statement

Use spherical coordinates to find the moment of inertia about the z-axis of a solid of uniform density bounded by the hemisphere [tex]\rho=cos\varphi[/tex], [tex]\pi/4\leq\varphi\leq\pi/2[/tex], and the cone [tex]\varphi=4[/tex].

You mean [itex]\varphi = \pi / 4[/itex] for the cone.

Homework Equations

[tex]I_{z} = \int\int\int(x^{2}+y^{2})\rho(x, y, z) dV[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to convert that equation to cylindrical coordinates and got this (k representing density because it's uniform)

[tex]I_{z} = k \int^{2\pi}_{0}\int^{\pi/2}_{\pi/4}\int^{1}_{0}\rho^2 sin^{2}\varphi*d\rho*d\varphi*d\theta[/tex]

That doesn't look like cylindrical coordinates to me. But then, why would you want cylindrical coordinates anyway? Assuming that the [itex]\rho^2\sin^2(\phi)[/itex]
is the moment arm, check your spherical coordinate dV.

Plugged that into my calculator and got:

[tex]\frac{k\pi(\pi+2)}{12}[/tex]

The book answer is:
[tex]\frac{k\pi}{192}[/tex]

What am I doing wrong?

Aside from getting the dV wrong, using a calculator?

[Edit] Looking closer your limits for [itex]\rho[/itex] are also wrong.

Last edited:
LCKurtz said:
You mean [itex]\varphi = \pi / 4[/itex] for the cone.
Yes, sorry, typo.

That doesn't look like cylindrical coordinates to me. But then, why would you want cylindrical coordinates anyway? Assuming that the [itex]\rho^2\sin^2(\phi)[/itex]
is the moment arm, check your spherical coordinate dV.

Sorry, typo, I meant spherical coordinates.

I checked and dV should be

[itex]\rho^2\sin^2(\phi)d\rho*d\varphi*d\theta[/itex]

So that should change the integral to:

[tex]I_{z} = k \int^{2\pi}_{0}\int^{\pi/2}_{\pi/4}\int^{1}_{0}(\rho^2 sin^{2}\varphi)^{2}*d\rho*d\varphi*d\theta[/tex]

Aside from getting the dV wrong, using a calculator?

I usually use my calculator to check my setup, then once I know that is right, I go back and evaluate it by hand.

[Edit] Looking closer your limits for [itex]\rho[/itex] are also wrong.

I'm not sure what to do for [itex]\rho[/itex], I thought since the radius of the hemisphere was 1, then [itex]\rho[/itex] would go from 0 to 1.

clairez93 said:
I checked and dV should be

[itex]\rho^2\sin^2(\phi)d\rho*d\varphi*d\theta[/itex]

The sine should not be squared.

So that should change the integral to:

[tex]I_{z} = k \int^{2\pi}_{0}\int^{\pi/2}_{\pi/4}\int^{1}_{0}(\rho^2 sin^{2}\varphi)^{2}*d\rho*d\varphi*d\theta[/tex]

I'm not sure what to do for [itex]\rho[/itex], I thought since the radius of the hemisphere was 1, then [itex]\rho[/itex] would go from 0 to 1.

Have you drawn a picture of the desired volume? Your sphere is not centered at the origin and its equation isn't [itex]\rho[/itex] = 1.

Related to Moment of inertia about z-axis in spherical coordinates

1. What is the moment of inertia about the z-axis in spherical coordinates?

The moment of inertia about the z-axis in spherical coordinates is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotation around that axis. It takes into account the distribution of mass and the distance of the mass from the axis of rotation.

2. How is the moment of inertia about the z-axis calculated in spherical coordinates?

The moment of inertia about the z-axis in spherical coordinates is calculated by integrating the squared distance from the z-axis for each infinitesimal mass element of the object, multiplied by the mass of that element. This integration takes into account the entire mass distribution of the object.

3. Can the moment of inertia about the z-axis change for an object?

Yes, the moment of inertia about the z-axis can change for an object if its mass distribution or shape changes. For example, if the object is compressed or stretched, its moment of inertia can change.

4. How does the moment of inertia about the z-axis compare to other moments of inertia?

The moment of inertia about the z-axis is just one of three moments of inertia that describe an object's resistance to changes in rotation. The other two are the moment of inertia about the x-axis and the y-axis. The moment of inertia about the z-axis is typically the largest of the three for objects with a spherical symmetry.

5. How is the moment of inertia about the z-axis used in physics and engineering?

The moment of inertia about the z-axis is an important concept in physics and engineering, as it is used in calculations related to rotational motion and stability. It is also used in designing objects such as wheels, gears, and flywheels, where the moment of inertia plays a crucial role in their function and performance.

Back