Moment of inertia and angular speed

In summary, the question was asking what is the moment of inertia for a particle of mass 19 kg revolving around an axis that is 0.5 meters in radius. The answer is that the moment of inertia is correct. The angular speed is also correct based on the information given.
pat666

Homework Statement

Consider a particle of mass = 19.0 revolving around an axis with angular speed . The perpendicular distance from the particle to the axis is = 0.500 .

Homework Equations

I=mr^2
K=0.5Iw^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I=4.75
K=1796 which is 0.5*4.75*27.5^2

i know that w is right, this is one of those stupid mastering physics questions.

Physics news on Phys.org
pat666 said:

Homework Statement

Consider a particle of mass = 19.0 revolving around an axis with angular speed . The perpendicular distance from the particle to the axis is = 0.500 .

Homework Equations

I=mr^2
K=0.5Iw^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I=4.75
K=1796 which is 0.5*4.75*27.5^2

i know that w is right, this is one of those stupid mastering physics questions.

What exactly is the question?

19 what and 0.5 what?

19kg and 0.5m sorry the units were in a picture and didnt copy properly.

pat666 said:
19kg and 0.5m sorry the units were in a picture and didnt copy properly.

So what do they want to know about the 19 kg mass?

Its moment of inertia?

sorry i should really have checked this before posting. i want to know the kinetic energy of the rotating particle

And the angular speed is 27.5 rads/sec? If so, your answer is correct.

pat666 said:
sorry i should really have checked this before posting. i want to know the kinetic energy of the rotating particle

Ok then...
Have they given you any info about the rate of rotation? omega? what you are calling w...

ANd I see the poster above me is assuming its is 27.5 rad/s based on what you wrote in the solution?

i had to figure that out in an earlier question and the answer is definitely 27.5rad/s. but the KE is not what i calculated.

pat666 said:
i had to figure that out in an earlier question and the answer is definitely 27.5rad/s. but the KE is not what i calculated.

Well if you know the answer you got is wrong, then I or omega or both are wrong. Do you have the entire question?

That is the entire question, i calculated I from the given info and omega is definitely right?

pat666 said:
That is the entire question, i calculated I from the given info and omega is definitely right?

So if we are assuming the 19 kg mass is just a point mass, and it making a ciruclar rotation about an axis that is 0.5 meters in radius, then the moment of inertia looks correct to me. So how did you arrive at the angular speed? I don't know if omega or the angular speed is correct...

Do you have the entire question?

If you know the answer you got for the kinetic energy is wrong, then again, either I, or omega, or both are wrong. Because your math to figure out the kinetic energy looks correct to me using your numbers... Just trying to narrrow down what could have gone wrong.

ok this is my fault w is actually 55rad/s v is 27.5m/s sorry

pat666 said:
ok this is my fault w is actually 55rad/s v is 27.5m/s sorry

No problemo.

As long as you figure out what you did incorrectly then all is good :)

Mistakes can be very instructive. And sometimes its just a small thing like forgetting to multply by 2. It might make you feel a whole lot better to know its just a math error and not a conceptual error.

FAQ: Moment of inertia and angular speed

1. What is moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is often referred to as the rotational equivalent of mass in linear motion.

2. How is moment of inertia calculated?

The moment of inertia is calculated by multiplying the mass of an object by the square of its distance from the axis of rotation. It is represented by the symbol I and has units of kg*m^2.

3. What is angular speed?

Angular speed, also known as angular velocity, is a measure of how fast an object rotates around its axis. It is represented by the symbol ω and has units of radians per second (rad/s).

4. How are moment of inertia and angular speed related?

The moment of inertia affects the angular speed of an object in rotational motion. A larger moment of inertia requires more torque to produce the same angular acceleration, resulting in a slower angular speed. This relationship is described by the equation ω = τ/I, where τ is the torque applied to the object.

5. How does moment of inertia differ from mass?

Moment of inertia and mass are similar in that they both measure an object's resistance to motion, but they apply to different types of motion. Mass measures an object's resistance to linear motion, while moment of inertia measures its resistance to rotational motion.