Moment of Inertia and Collisions

In summary, the particle experiences an inelastic collision with the ellipsoid and then it starts to rotate. The moment of inertia of the composite system equals to that of the ellipsoid.
the keck

Homework Statement

A uniform symmetric ellipsoid (Mass M) has a large semi axis c and small semi axis a. A particle of mass m<<M is moving along a straight line parallel to the x-axis. Its y-coordinate is a/2 and its z-coordinate it c/2. After an inelastic collision, it sticks to the ellipsoid and then it (The ellipsoid) starts to move and rotate. One can assume the moment of inertia of the composite system equals to that of the ellipsoid.

Find its linear velocity after collision
Find the angular momentum of the system
Find the precession of the ellipsoid c-axis around direction of the angular momentum

Homework Equations

Moment of Inertia about z-axis is I=(2/5)*M*a^2
Moment of Inertia about other axes is I=(1/5)*M*(a^2+c^2)
KE=0.5*I*w^2 where w is angular velocity
L= I*w

The Attempt at a Solution

I suspect that you need the linear velocity to determine both the angular momentum and the precession. But my linear velocity cancels out when I equate KE=0.5*(m+M)*v^2=0.5*(0.4Ma^2)*(v/a)^2 [v/a=w]

Any help would be nice! Thanks a lot

Regards,
The Keck

Physics news on Phys.org
By conservation of linear momentum, mv(i)+M(0)=(m+M)v'. Here v' is velocity vector of the center of mass of the system.

By conservation of angular momentum, m(v i)x(a/2 j+ c/2 k)=Iw, where I=I cm about the x axis. From this you can find the angular velocity of the system. [tex]w=\frac{mv}{I_{cm}}(\frac{a}{2}k-\frac{c}{2}j)[/tex].

I don't know what you mean by precision but if you explain it, I may be able to help you.

So that would mean you actually need the initial velocity of the particle m, cause the question seems to indicate you don't need it. (I a bit confused about what you are doing...are you finding w and v independently and then use the fact that v=a*w or something?)

I'll check up on that the precession means, cause personally I'm not sure on it myself.

Thanks a lot

Regards,
The Keck

Okay...I checked up on my lecturer who wrote this question, and he said that he had forgotten to put in an initial velocity v(i). But I'm still not sure on what you are doing with the angular velocity. Are you saying that the angular momentum is mv(i) x (a/2j + c/2k)?

Regards,
The Keck

Okay...I checked up on my lecturer who wrote this question, and he said that he had forgotten to put in an initial velocity v(i). But I'm still not sure on what you are doing with the angular velocity. Are you saying that the angular momentum is mv(i) x (a/2j + c/2k)?

Regards,
The Keck

Related to Moment of Inertia and Collisions

1. What is moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is a property of an object that measures its resistance to changes in rotational motion. It depends on the mass and distribution of the object's mass around its axis of rotation.

2. How is moment of inertia related to collisions?

In a collision, the moment of inertia of an object can affect its rotational motion. If the moment of inertia is high, the object will resist changes in rotational motion, making it more difficult to change its direction or speed.

3. What factors affect moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is affected by the mass and distribution of an object's mass. Objects with more mass and/or mass distributed further from the axis of rotation will have a higher moment of inertia.

4. How is moment of inertia calculated?

The moment of inertia of a point mass can be calculated by multiplying the mass by the square of its distance from the axis of rotation. For more complex objects, the moment of inertia can be calculated using integrals or by using a table of moments of inertia for common shapes.

5. Why is moment of inertia important in physics?

Moment of inertia is important in physics because it is a key factor in understanding rotational motion and collisions. It helps us predict how objects will behave when they experience a force or torque, and it is also important in engineering applications such as designing structures and machinery.