Moment of Inertia for connected, hinged panels

In summary: B]In summary, the question is asking for the moment of inertia of a solar panel array connected to a spacecraft by hinges in order to calculate its angular momentum when released in orbit. The panels are all 0.2m by 0.3m and connected along the 0.3m side with two hinges for each panel. The attempt at a solution involves calculating the moment of inertia for each panel as they swing outward when released, but it is unclear if this is the correct approach without knowing more about the deployment mechanism. The panels will be released simultaneously by breaking a chord holding them in their folded position.
snpierce

Homework Statement

[/B]
There is a solar panel array of 3 panels connected to a spacecraft . The panels in the array are connected linearly (in a row: panel1 + panel2 + panel3 + spacecraft ) with hinges. They are all 0.2 meters by 0.3 meters and connected along the 0.3 meter side using 2 hinges for each panel. I'm looking for the MOI so that I can calculate the angular momentum of all 3 panels when they are released from their folded position once the craft is in orbit. They are folded together on the hinged sides and all 3 are in a "pile" before being released.

Homework Equations

[/B]
I=1/3*M*a^2 'a' being the length of the shorter side in this case 0.2

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Innermost panel has to swing outward with the mass of the other 2 attached to it: I=1/3*(M*3)*a^2
Middle panel has to swing outward with the mass of itself plus outer panel attached to it:
I = 1/3*(M*2)*a^2
outermost panel: I = 1/3*M*a^2

Since the panels are connected and moving simultaneously when released, I'm not sure this is the way to do this and I can't find any similar examples which makes me think I'm really missing something.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
I doubt I will be able to help but I think sketch might help. Are the panel's "rolled" or "consterina" pattern?

Answer you are looking for depends on how the motion of the panels is being controlled . You really need to know how the deployment mechanism works .

CWatters said:
I doubt I will be able to help but I think sketch might help. Are the panel's "rolled" or "consterina" pattern?
Concertina pattern.

Nidum said:
Answer you are looking for depends on how the motion of the panels is being controlled . You really need to know how the deployment mechanism works .
The panels will be released all at once - a chord holding them "pinned down" in their folded position will break and the entire solar panel array comes free at once.

Related to Moment of Inertia for connected, hinged panels

1. What is Moment of Inertia?

Moment of Inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is calculated by taking into account the mass and distribution of mass around an axis of rotation.

2. How is Moment of Inertia related to connected, hinged panels?

Moment of Inertia is particularly important for connected, hinged panels because it determines how easily they will rotate around their hinges. The higher the moment of inertia, the more force is required to rotate the panels.

3. What factors affect the Moment of Inertia for connected, hinged panels?

The Moment of Inertia for connected, hinged panels is affected by the mass, shape, and distribution of mass of the panels. The distance between the axis of rotation and the mass also plays a role, with larger distances resulting in higher moment of inertia.

4. How is Moment of Inertia calculated for connected, hinged panels?

Moment of Inertia for connected, hinged panels can be calculated using the formula I = Σmr², where I is the moment of inertia, m is the mass of each panel, and r is the distance between the axis of rotation and the mass of each panel.

5. Why is understanding Moment of Inertia important for scientists?

Understanding Moment of Inertia is important for scientists because it helps them design and analyze structures and systems that involve rotational motion, such as bridges, cranes, and machines. It also allows them to predict how these structures will behave under different forces and rotations.