Moment of inertia formula help

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of area in finding the moment of inertia and the confusion between terms such as "second moment of area" and "area moment of inertia". The experts in the conversation suggest that the term "second moment of area" is more accurate, but acknowledge that both terms have been used in the field for a long time. They also urge against perpetuating incorrect terminology in order to improve understanding.
yecko
Gold Member

Homework Statement

螢幕快照 2018-03-26 下午8.50.36.png

Homework Equations

I=1/12*bh^2+Md^2

The Attempt at a Solution

for the highlighted 600mm^2 (and the 300mm^2 below) in the middle of the page,
when finding the moment of inertia, what the solution used is an area, yet for related formula required the use as for mass in the part Md^2.
why should area is used here? is Ad^2 having a contradict unit with moment of inertia?
sorry for unable to type out the whole problem statement out and thank you very much

Attachments

• 螢幕快照 2018-03-26 下午8.50.36.png
    螢幕快照 2018-03-26 下午8.50.36.png
    31.9 KB · Views: 1,445
Physics news on Phys.org
If this was a thin slice with this profile, you could find the MI using the mass, with mass = area* thickness* density. If the density is uniform, the MI is proportional to the area, so you don't need to know the thickness and density - you can work it out using the area, and the results are (geometrically) the same. I in this case is called (I think) the second moment of area, and is what you use in cases like this, where the stress depends on the geometry of the beam but not its mass. (You would need MI if you were looking at e.g. rotational kinetic energy).

Likes yecko
The bending moment equation is
bending stress = moment * distances to most distant fibre/(area moment of inertia)
There is no need to discuss thin slices, etc. Simply calculate the area moment of inertia with with respect to the neutral axis and move on.

Moment of inertia is a misnomer borrowed from dynamics. In statics it should be the second moment of area. If you have a rotating mass, angular inertia = ∑ dm x2. But the second moment of area is ∑ dA x2. The formulae have a similar format.

Agreed that the term "second moment of area" is correct, but to call "area moment of inertia" a misnomer is a bit of a stretch. Both usages are long established, and not really confusing to anyone who pays attention. I've heard both of these terms all of my professional life, but then, I'm new to the area, only 50 year since my PhD in mechanics.

Dr.D said:
Agreed that the term "second moment of area" is correct, but to call "area moment of inertia" a misnomer is a bit of a stretch. Both usages are long established, and not really confusing to anyone who pays attention. I've heard both of these terms all of my professional life, but then, I'm new to the area, only 50 year since my PhD in mechanics.
The OP did not write "area moment of inertia":
yecko said:
when finding the moment of inertia
Thus, it was strictly incorrect, and that inexactitude strongly relates to the OP's confusion.

Beyond that, yes it is and always has been a misnomer to describe it as some kind of inertia, for obvious reasons. We should not perpetuate such barriers to understanding just because we old guard are used to it.

haruspex said:
Beyond that, yes it is and always has been a misnomer to describe it as some kind of inertia, for obvious reasons. We should not perpetuate such barriers to understanding just because we old guard are used to it.

Oh, my! How could I possibly challenge such magisterial authority! Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa!

Dr.D said:
Oh, my! How could I possibly challenge such magisterial authority! Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa!
Don't forget the Hail Marys.

Related to Moment of inertia formula help

1. What is the moment of inertia formula?

The moment of inertia formula, also known as the rotational inertia formula, is a mathematical equation used to calculate the resistance of a body to rotational motion. It is represented by the symbol I and is given by the product of the mass of the object and the square of its distance from the axis of rotation.

2. How is moment of inertia different from mass?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion, while mass is a measure of an object's resistance to linear motion. In other words, moment of inertia takes into account the distribution of mass in an object, while mass does not.

3. What are the units for moment of inertia?

The units for moment of inertia depend on the system of units being used. In the International System of Units (SI), the units for moment of inertia are kilogram meters squared (kg·m²). In the United States Customary Units (USCS), the units are pound square feet (lb·ft²).

4. How is the moment of inertia formula used in real-life situations?

The moment of inertia formula is used in many real-life situations, such as in the design of vehicles, machinery, and structures. It is also used in physics and engineering to analyze the motion of rotating objects and to determine the amount of torque needed to cause rotational motion.

5. Are there any other formulas related to moment of inertia?

Yes, there are other formulas related to moment of inertia, such as the parallel axis theorem, which calculates the moment of inertia of an object about an axis parallel to the original axis. Another related formula is the perpendicular axis theorem, which calculates the moment of inertia of a two-dimensional object about an axis perpendicular to its plane. These formulas are often used in more complex scenarios where the moment of inertia cannot be calculated directly using the basic formula.