Moment of Inertia Formula Query

In summary: This is a formula for the moment of inertia of a beam with a thin-walled section. It is accurate to within a small amount, but it is not accurate enough to use for beams with a thick wall.
Iain123
Hello, this formula was given to me in an exam to find the moment of inertia of an I beam,

https://ibb.co/jY7ZKG
jY7ZKG

jY7ZKG

However this formula seems to give a different answer to the standard bd^3/12 method, is the formula in the image wrong ?
Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hello Iain, :welcome:

Interesting, an exam that provides a formula without explaining what the symbols and their dimensions are and (at least, if ##I## stands for the moment of inertia) gives a formula with the wrong dimension.

I see no images. The link works:
upload_2018-1-19_22-45-7.png

What is this and what is your standard ? (not this one, I suppose)

Attachments

• upload_2018-1-19_22-45-7.png
    upload_2018-1-19_22-45-7.png
    37.5 KB · Views: 645
It seems to be a crude approximation of the appropriate way of doing it (see ##I_x##, from source):

area_moment_of_inertia_I_beam_example.jpg

Attachments

• area_moment_of_inertia_I_beam_example.jpg
    area_moment_of_inertia_I_beam_example.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 944
BvU said:
if II stands for the moment of inertia) gives a formula with the wrong dimension.

The dimensions of this expression are L^4 which is entirely appropriate for an AREA moment of inertia, a quantity commonly used in the analysis of beams.

I kind of realized that. Would have helped if Iain had mentioned it in post #1 (##I## as moment of inerita is more common for ordinary physicists...:rolleyes: ).

Now: wat is your standard?

Thanks for your reply's,
I have attached an image showing my working using both formulas, and also a picture showing the I beam dimensions (web thickness is 20mm).

https://ibb.co/nMDCrw

Using Skyciv's online beam calculator returns an I value of 7.73x10^6 mm^4 , the same as i got on top line. Also this is only concerning the Ixx value and not Iyy , and I is referring to the second moment of area.
I don't understand how the second formula can return a different value and still be correct, i must be missing something :-/
Thanks

Last edited:
The answer I = 7733333 mm4 is correct. To make sure, I double checked it with Calcpad:
http://calcpad.net/Spreadsheet/208/double-tee-section

The formula in the exam is correct but it is approximate. It is obtained by taking the web and adding the flanges by the Steiner's theorem:
I = 2t*h3/12 + 2*b*t*(h/2)2
I = t*h3/6 + b*t*h2/2
I = (t*h3/6) + 3*b/h*(t*h3/6)
I = t*h3/6*(1 + 3*b/h)
The problem is that web and flanges overlap, so this formula produces higher values than the exact one.
It can be used only for thin-walled sections where 't' is much smaller than the other dimensions. Then the overlap becomes negligible.

Likes jack action

Related to Moment of Inertia Formula Query

What is the moment of inertia formula?

The moment of inertia formula is a mathematical equation used to calculate the rotational inertia of an object. It is represented by the symbol I and is defined as the product of an object's mass and the square of its distance from the axis of rotation.

How is the moment of inertia formula derived?

The moment of inertia formula is derived from the basic principles of rotational motion and the laws of physics, specifically Newton's second law and the parallel axis theorem. It takes into account an object's mass distribution and distance from the axis of rotation to determine its resistance to changes in rotational motion.

What are the units of measurement for moment of inertia?

The units of moment of inertia depend on the units of mass and distance used in the formula. In the SI system, the units for moment of inertia are kilogram square meters (kg·m²). In the imperial system, the units are slug square feet (slug·ft²). In both systems, the units represent the object's resistance to rotational motion.

Why is moment of inertia important?

Moment of inertia is important because it helps determine how an object will behave when subjected to rotational motion. It is a crucial concept in engineering and physics, as it allows for the prediction and control of rotational motion in various systems, such as wheels, gears, and flywheels.

How is the moment of inertia formula used in real-world applications?

The moment of inertia formula is used in various real-world applications, such as designing machinery and vehicles, calculating the stability of structures, and understanding the behavior of rotating objects in space. It is also used in sports, such as figure skating and gymnastics, to calculate the moment of inertia of a performer's body during different movements and stunts.