Moment of Inertia (no calculus) - What am I missing?

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the moment of inertia to the Y and X axis using formulas for geometrical shapes. It also includes a discussion on applying Steiner's theorem and finding the moment of inertia relative to the center of mass. The conversation ends with a suggestion to use a different method, such as calculus, to check for mistakes.
Femme_physics
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Calculate the moment of inertia to the Y and X axis

Diagram attached.

Homework Equations

Everything is in the diagram...there's no need to use calculus, just the formulas for geometrical shapes for moment of inertia and center of mass...

Answers are

Ix = 95.4 cm^4
Iy = 263.7 cm^4

The Attempt at a Solution

Attached. I got Ix, I'm not getting Iy from some reason. Question is on the left, my attempt on the right

Attachments

• 69.jpg
    69.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 471
  • solutionattempt.jpg
    solutionattempt.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 521
Physics news on Phys.org
You're not applying Steiner's theorem quite right.
It only works relative to the center of mass.

So for instance for Iy2 you start out with a half-circle with an axis that is not through the center of mass.

So first you need Steiner's theorem to find the moment of inertia through the center of mass.
That is, you need to subtract:

[tex]\frac 1 2 \pi a^2 (\frac {4a} {3\pi})^2[/tex].

And then you need to find the moment of inertia relative to the y-axis.
That is, you need to add:

[tex]\frac 1 2 \pi a^2 (3a - \frac {4a} {3\pi})^2[/tex].

It only works relative to the center of mass.

Oh. See, I wasn't sure whether I need to subtract or add in Steiner's theorem, I thought you always add and then LATER when you do the Iy total, you subtract. But, guess I was wrong.

Anyway, I did what you said but the answer is still off

[tex]\frac 1 2 \pi a^2 (\frac {4a} {3\pi})^2[/tex].

That equals 45270.7393

[tex]\frac 1 2 \pi a^2 (3a - \frac {4a} {3\pi})^2[/tex].[/QUOTE]

That equals 1667217.45

-45270.7393 + 1667217.45 = 162196.711

If I now do Iy total =
The value I got for I1 = 62831.853
Minus this new value I got for I2 = 162196.711
Plus the value for I3 (square's moment of inertia) = 1645479

Iy = -I1 -I2 +I3

= 1420450.436

Still not the answer :-/

Well, your Iy3 is not quite right yet either.

It seems to me that you inserted the surface of the circle disk instead of the surface of a square.

The proper formula would be:

[tex]I_{y_3} = \frac {3a \cdot (3a)^3} {12} + (3a)^2 \cdot \left(\frac {3a} 2\right)^2[/tex]

You're right, I did accidentally used circle's area, but I've tried it with the square's area result too, like in your formula (3600), still not the answer

4320000 - 62831.853 - 1729914.273 = 2527253.874

It seems to be approaching it. Is there a mistake at the answers? It seems a lot of the other students I've asked didn't get the result

Femme_physics said:
You're right, I did accidentally used circle's area, but I've tried it with the square's area result too, like in your formula (3600), still not the answer

4320000 - 62831.853 - 1729914.273 = 2527253.874

It seems to be approaching it. Is there a mistake at the answers? It seems a lot of the other students I've asked didn't get the result

Your result for Iy2 is still a little off.
It should be 62831.853 - 45270.739 + 1667217.450 = 1684778.564.

So I'm getting:

4320000 - 62831.853 - 1684778.564 = 2572389.583 mm4

This is indeed a little bit off from 263.7 cm4.
So I think there is a mistake in the answer as well.

Agreed :) Thank you.

I'm actually a bit confused where you took the 4a/3pi formula. The formula for half a circle center of mass says 4R/3pi. Since R and a just so happen to be the same value, I guess it doesn't matter. But I presume that is an error on your part?

Femme_physics said:
I'm actually a bit confused where you took the 4a/3pi formula. The formula for half a circle center of mass says 4R/3pi. Since R and a just so happen to be the same value, I guess it doesn't matter. But I presume that is an error on your part?

I'm not sure if I understand your question.
As you say 4R/3pi is the formula for half a circle's center of mass.
Applying it to your particular case, a is substituted for R, and it becomes 4a/3pi.
Where's the error?

Oh, nevermind, sorry my bad. I'm just so invested in this question that I got confused. Been working on it for a few days if not more. I keep thinking I understand how to solve moment of inertia without calculus but I keep getting some of the answers wrong, and it's just really frustrating with the exercise sheet has errors in it. I notice I'm unable to solve the following two simple moment of inertia questions...I wonder if it's the same pattern of errors, but I'm not sure if it's the paper side or my side. Just frustrating. Thanks anyway. Appreciate the help.

Femme_physics said:
Oh, nevermind, sorry my bad. I'm just so invested in this question that I got confused. Been working on it for a few days if not more. I keep thinking I understand how to solve moment of inertia without calculus but I keep getting some of the answers wrong, and it's just really frustrating with the exercise sheet has errors in it. I notice I'm unable to solve the following two simple moment of inertia questions...I wonder if it's the same pattern of errors, but I'm not sure if it's the paper side or my side. Just frustrating.

The trick I use to find out if I have made a mistake, is to calculate the same thing using a different method (calculus in this case). If the answer comes out the same (as it did in this case), I become confident that I didn't make a mistake.

Femme_physics said:
Thanks anyway. Appreciate the help.

You're welcome :smile:.

The trick I use to find out if I have made a mistake, is to calculate the same thing using a different method (calculus in this case). If the answer comes out the same (as it did in this case), I become confident that I didn't make a mistake.

Ah, problem is we haven't started calculus with these sort of problems. Can't wait, though!

Related to Moment of Inertia (no calculus) - What am I missing?

1. What is moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion. It is similar to mass in linear motion, but for rotational motion.

2. How is moment of inertia different from mass?

Moment of inertia takes into account not only the mass of an object, but also its distribution of mass around its axis of rotation. A larger moment of inertia means it will be more difficult to change an object's rotational motion.

3. What factors affect moment of inertia?

The shape and mass distribution of an object are the main factors that affect its moment of inertia. Objects with a larger mass and/or more spread out mass distribution will have a larger moment of inertia.

4. What is the formula for calculating moment of inertia?

The formula for moment of inertia is I = mr^2, where m is the mass of the object and r is the distance from the axis of rotation to the mass.

5. How is moment of inertia useful in real-life applications?

Moment of inertia is useful in many real-life applications, such as predicting the stability of structures, designing machines and vehicles, and understanding the behavior of rotating objects. It is also important in sports, such as figure skating and gymnastics, where a person's moment of inertia affects their ability to rotate and perform certain movements.