Moment of inertia of a cylinder about perpendicular axes

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the moment of inertia of a uniform, solid cylinder about its perpendicular axes. The suggested approach is to use the equation I = \iiint r^{2}_{\bot} \rho dV. The conversation also considers the use of the parallel axis theorem, which involves slicing the cylinder into thin circular disks and using the distance Z to calculate the moment of inertia.
Sentin3l

Homework Statement

Calculate the moment of inertia of a uniform, solid cylinder about it's perpendicular axes. The cylinder has length L, radius R, and total mass M. It is centered on the origin with the z-axis running through the center of it's circular faces.

Homework Equations

[tex] I = \iiint r^{2}_{\bot} \rho dV [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I can immediately see that due to symmetry [itex] I_{x} = I_{y}[/itex].

I'll choose the x-axis to work with (so our cylinder is spinning about the x-axis). I can see that [itex] r_{\bot} = \sqrt{z^{2}+y^{2}}[/itex] so [itex] r^{2}_{\bot} = z^{2} +y^{2}[/itex].

Now I need to work out my bounds for the integration. I chose a cartesian coordinate system (only as I couldn't see if cylindrical would give any simplification, but I'm sure I could've missed something) and I determined the bounds by drawing several diagrams and after some scratch work I found:

[tex] -R \leq x\leq R [/tex]
[tex] -L/2 \leq y\leq L/2 [/tex]
[tex] -\sqrt{R^{2}-x^{2}} \leq z \leq \sqrt{R^{2}-x^{2}}[/tex]

Which gives an integral:

[tex] I = \rho \int_{-R}^{R} \int_{-L/2}^{L/2} \int_{-\sqrt{R^{2}-x^{2}}}^{\sqrt{R^{2}-x^{2}}} (z^{2}+y^{2})\:dzdydx[/tex]

[tex] I = \rho\int^{R}_{-R} \: [\:\frac{8L}{3}(\sqrt{R^{2}-x^{2}})^{3}\:+\:\frac{L^{3}}{6}\sqrt{R^{2}-x^{2}}\:] \:dx [/tex]

And this is where I'm not so sure about it. The integral looks particulary nasty (wolfram gave me a solution with several arctan's). I don't see where I went wrong here.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sentin3l said:
[tex] I = \rho \int_{-R}^{R} \int_{-L/2}^{L/2} \int_{-\sqrt{R^{2}-x^{2}}}^{\sqrt{R^{2}-x^{2}}} (z^{2}+y^{2})\:dzdydx[/tex]

This looks ok. But it appears that you have let the y-axis "run through the center of its circular faces" rather than the z axis. It won't make any difference.

[tex] I = \rho\int^{R}_{-R} \: [\:\frac{8L}{3}(\sqrt{R^{2}-x^{2}})^{3}\:+\:\frac{L^{3}}{6}\sqrt{R^{2}-x^{2}}\:] \:dx [/tex]

I don't quite get the numerical factor of 8/3 for the first term.

And this is where I'm not so sure about it. The integral looks particulary nasty (wolfram gave me a solution with several arctan's). I don't see where I went wrong here.

Yes, the integral can be expressed in terms of arctan's. It's not too hard to evaluate the expression at the limits.

Alternate approach (if you can use the parallel axis theorem): slice the cylinder into thin circular disks.

The 8/3 comes from evaluating the z and y integrals. I could have got the constant wrong but it's still a constant.

How would you use the parallel axis theorem?

Sentin3l said:
How would you use the parallel axis theorem?

You can use the parallel axis theorem to express the moment of inertia of a disk about the green axis in terms of the moment of inertia about a diameter of the disk (blue axis) and the distance Z.

Attachments

• Cylinder.png
    Cylinder.png
    4.2 KB · Views: 1,315
That seems significantly easier. Thanks.

Related to Moment of inertia of a cylinder about perpendicular axes

1. What is the moment of inertia of a cylinder about perpendicular axes?

The moment of inertia of a cylinder about perpendicular axes is a measure of its resistance to rotational motion. It is a property of the cylinder's mass distribution and is affected by the cylinder's shape and axis of rotation.

2. How is the moment of inertia of a cylinder about perpendicular axes calculated?

The moment of inertia of a cylinder about perpendicular axes can be calculated using the formula I = ½MR², where M is the mass of the cylinder and R is the radius of the cylinder.

3. What is the difference between the moment of inertia of a cylinder about its central axis and about a perpendicular axis?

The moment of inertia of a cylinder about its central axis is a measure of its resistance to rotation around that axis, while the moment of inertia about a perpendicular axis is a measure of its resistance to rotation in a different direction. The two values may be different because the distribution of mass within the cylinder affects its rotational motion in different ways.

4. How does the length of a cylinder affect its moment of inertia about perpendicular axes?

The length of a cylinder has no effect on its moment of inertia about perpendicular axes. This is because the formula for calculating moment of inertia only takes into account the cylinder's mass and radius, not its length.

5. Can the moment of inertia of a cylinder about perpendicular axes be changed?

Yes, the moment of inertia of a cylinder about perpendicular axes can be changed by altering its mass distribution or changing the axis of rotation. For example, changing the shape of the cylinder or rotating it around a different axis can affect its moment of inertia.