Moment of Inertia of a Disk and Pulley System

In summary, the homework statement says that a student has a question about a problem they have to write a lab report on. The problem involves solving for the moment of inertia of a system that involves a pulley with a hanging mass attached to a spool that turns a flywheel. The student is unsure how to derive the equation for the moment of inertia. The student tries to solve for the moment of inertia using different methods, and finally comes up with a solution that is closer but has the wrong denominator.
ChiHawksFan

Homework Statement

Hi all,
I just had a quick question regarding a problem that I have to write a lab report on. The problem involves solving for the moment of inertia of a system that involves a pulley with a hanging mass attached to a spool that turns a flywheel. The solution is supposed to be in terms of the mass the hanging weight and the acceleration of the weight. In lab we were eventually given the equation that could be used to solve for the moment of inertia. It is as follows: I={[r2(mg-ma)]/α} My question involves how to derive this. I know that it is a sum of all forces problem, but I can't seem to get the right answer. Here is a link to the problem. It is on the second page and is titled "Moment of Inertia Problem".

Homework Equations

∑F=ma
∑τ=Iα
a=rα, α=a/r
mh = The mass of the hanging weight
Md = The mass of the disk, ring and spool configuration
r = the radius of the spool

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is a drawing I made of the situation:
System Drawing.jpg

My attempt at the solution is as follows:

∑Fy = mha
mhg - τ = mha
τ = mhg - mha
∑τ = Iα ----------> I = τ/α
I = (mhg - mha)/α
α = a/r
I = [r(mhg - mha)/a]

I am unsure where to get the other r from.

Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
ChiHawksFan said:

Homework Statement

Hi all,
I just had a quick question regarding a problem that I have to write a lab report on. The problem involves solving for the moment of inertia of a system that involves a pulley with a hanging mass attached to a spool that turns a flywheel. The solution is supposed to be in terms of the mass the hanging weight and the acceleration of the weight. In lab we were eventually given the equation that could be used to solve for the moment of inertia. It is as follows: I={[r2(mg-ma)]/α} My question involves how to derive this. I know that it is a sum of all forces problem, but I can't seem to get the right answer. Here is a link to the problem. It is on the second page and is titled "Moment of Inertia Problem".

Homework Equations

∑F=ma
∑τ=Iα
a=rα, α=a/r
mh = The mass of the hanging weight
Md = The mass of the disk, ring and spool configuration
r = the radius of the spool

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is a drawing I made of the situation:
View attachment 82722

My attempt at the solution is as follows:

∑Fy = mha
mhg - τ = mha
τ = mhg - mha
τ = Iα ----------> I = τ
I = (mhg - mha)/α
α = a/r
I = [r(mhg - mha)/a]

I am unsure where to get the other r from.

Thanks for any help!
You are using the variable, τ, for two different things. (It looks like maybe tau, rather than letter, t .)

The τ in the force equations is tension. Usually we use uppercase T .

The one I highlight in red above, τ, is torque.

How is torque, τ, related to tension, T, in this case?

SammyS said:
You are using the variable, τ, for two different things. (It looks like maybe tau, rather than letter, t .)

The τ in the force equations is tension. Usually we use uppercase T .

The one I highlight in red above, τ, is torque.

How is torque, τ, related to tension, T, in this case?

Actually, I did mean for τ to be torque in each equation. I realize now that I totally forgot to add tension into my ∑Fy equation. I will try that and see if I can get a better result. Thanks for the help!

I tried something else, and I think I am a little closer to a solution.

τ = Fdsinθ, τ = Iα, α = a/r, d = r = the radius of the spool, F = mhg - mha

Fr = Iα
Fr = I(a/r)
Fr2 = Ia
(Fr2/a) = I
I = [r2(mhg - mha)]/a

This solution is closer, but instead of 'α' in the denominator, there is just 'a'. Perhaps I wrote something down wrong in my lab notebook?

ChiHawksFan said:
I tried something else, and I think I am a little closer to a solution.

τ = Fdsinθ, τ = Iα, α = a/r, d = r = the radius of the spool, F = mhg - mha

Fr = Iα
Fr = I(a/r)
Fr2 = Ia
(Fr2/a) = I
I = [r2(mhg - mha)]/a

This solution is closer, but instead of 'α' in the denominator, there is just 'a'. Perhaps I wrote something down wrong in my lab notebook?

Yep, I did write something down wrong. It is supposed to be 'a' in the denominator. Thanks for the help Sammy, and sorry for the error!

Related to Moment of Inertia of a Disk and Pulley System

1. What is moment of inertia and why is it important in a disk and pulley system?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to change in its rotational motion. In a disk and pulley system, the moment of inertia determines how difficult it is to rotate the disk or pulley. It is an important factor to consider in understanding the system's overall motion and stability.

2. How do I calculate the moment of inertia of a disk and pulley system?

The moment of inertia of a disk and pulley system can be calculated by using the formula I = mr^2, where m is the mass of the disk or pulley and r is the distance from the axis of rotation to the center of mass of the object. For a system with multiple disks and pulleys, the moment of inertia can be found by adding the individual moments of inertia of each component.

3. How does the moment of inertia affect the acceleration of a disk and pulley system?

The moment of inertia directly affects the acceleration of a disk and pulley system. A larger moment of inertia means a larger resistance to change in rotational motion, resulting in a slower acceleration. On the other hand, a smaller moment of inertia allows for a faster acceleration.

4. What factors can affect the moment of inertia of a disk and pulley system?

The moment of inertia of a disk and pulley system can be affected by several factors, including the mass of the objects, the distribution of mass, and the axis of rotation. The shape and size of the objects can also play a role in determining the moment of inertia.

5. How can the moment of inertia be used to optimize the design of a disk and pulley system?

The moment of inertia can be used to optimize the design of a disk and pulley system by adjusting the mass and distribution of mass in the objects. By strategically placing the mass, the moment of inertia can be minimized, resulting in a more efficient and stable system. Engineers often use the moment of inertia as a key factor in designing machines and systems that require rotational motion.