Moment of Inertia of a Rectangle

In summary, the equation for the moment of inertia of a rectangle with the center of rotation at the center of the rectangle is ∫∫ρ(x^2+y^2)dy dx, with the first integral from -b/2 to b/2 and the second integral from -a/2 to a/2. The limits can be adjusted depending on the center of rotation, with the integrand remaining the same. The axis of rotation should also be specified to avoid confusion.
physicskid123
I have been trying to do the moment of inertia of a rectangle and I have it figured out when we have the center of the rectangle as the center of the rotation.
The equation is ∫∫ρ(x^2+y^2)dy dx where the first integral is from -b/2 to b/2 (if b is the height) and the second integral is -a/2 to a/2 (if a is the width).
I can't seem to figure out how to change the parameters of the integrals for if the rotation of the rectangle is at any other point, say a corner. Or what if it was on the bottom but still in the center of width, but the bottom of height. How do I adjust the integrals for these parameters?

Physics news on Phys.org
hi physicskid123! welcome to pf! :smile:
physicskid123 said:
I can't seem to figure out how to change the parameters of the integrals for if the rotation of the rectangle is at any other point …

i] they're limits not parameters

ii] your limits are the same, it's your integrand that needs changing ! :wink:

tiny-tim said:

Thanks, I'm new to the calculus lingo. So, for example, if the center of rotation is the bottom of the rectangle (its thin btw) so the center point would be (a/2,0) if the bottom left of the rectangle were the origin, how would I do the moment of inertia for this?

I'm still solving for every dm in area dA aka dy*dx but I don't know how to make the integral work.

Also I know that my original integral works for when the center of rotation is the center of the rectangle because it gives the formula 1/12*M(a^2+b^2)=I which is the correct moment of inertia.

Here is a link that got me thinking about this: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=12903

hi physicskid123! :smile:
physicskid123 said:
… if the center of rotation is the bottom of the rectangle (its thin btw) so the center point would be (a/2,0) if the bottom left of the rectangle were the origin, how would I do the moment of inertia for this?

your r has to be the distance from (a/2,0)

(or, generally, from (xo,yo))

your limits will depend on where your origin is …

you can choose your origin to be at the centre, a corner, or (a,b) itself, whichever you think is most convenient :wink:

It would also be useful to specify not the point, but the axis of rotation, to avoid any possible confusion.

tiny-tim said:
hi physicskid123! welcome to pf! :smile:

I think it's simpler to keep the integrand and change the limits. Both methods are possible. For instance, the the axis passes by the corner, you can simply change the limits to (0, a) and (0, b).

Related to Moment of Inertia of a Rectangle

What is moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is a physical property of a rigid body that determines how resistant it is to rotational motion about a given axis. It is represented by the symbol I and is dependent on the mass distribution of the object.

How is moment of inertia calculated for a rectangle?

The moment of inertia of a rectangle can be calculated using the formula I = (1/12) * m * (h^2 + b^2), where m is the mass of the rectangle and h and b are the height and width, respectively.

What factors affect the moment of inertia of a rectangle?

The moment of inertia of a rectangle is affected by its mass, size, and shape. The distribution of mass within the rectangle also plays a role in determining its moment of inertia.

Why is moment of inertia important?

Moment of inertia is an important concept in rotational dynamics as it helps in understanding an object's resistance to rotational motion. It is also used in engineering and design to determine the stability and strength of structures.

Can the moment of inertia of a rectangle be changed?

Yes, the moment of inertia of a rectangle can be changed by altering its mass distribution or shape. For example, distributing the mass towards the edges of the rectangle would increase its moment of inertia, while concentrating the mass towards the center would decrease it.