Moment of Inertia of a Rod with Two Uniform Masses Attached

In summary, the problem involves calculating the length of a uniform thin rod with two small masses attached to the ends, such that the moment of inertia of the entire system is 0.941 kg·m^2 with respect to an axis through the rod's center and perpendicular to its length. The correct equations for the moment of inertia are given and a mistake in the attempt at a solution is pointed out.
jcd2012

Homework Statement

A uniform thin rod with mass 4.59 kilograms pivots about an axis through its center and perpendicular to its length. Two small bodies with a mass of 0.543 kilograms, are attached to the ends of the rod. What is the length of the rod such that the moment of inertia of the three-body system with respect to the described axis is 0.941 kg·m^2?

Homework Equations

Length of Rod = L (unknown)

For the rod, MoI = 1/12ML

For the two small masses, MoI of each is: MoI = MR^2

MoI-rod + MoI-mass + MoI-mass = ƩI

The Attempt at a Solution

Moment of Inertia of Rod: 1/12(4.59 kg )L

Moment of Inertia of Mass: (0.543 kg) * (L/2)^2

For moment of inertia of small mass, I picked the radius from the axis of rotation to be L/2 since the axis of rotation is at the rod's center and perpendicular to its length. I thought the radius from that point to the small mass would be L/2.

So the setup is: 1/12(4.59)L + (0.543)(L/2)^2 + (0.543)(L/2)^2 = 0.941

When I solve for L, I get L = 1.28609 m, which is apparently incorrect. I do not know where I could have screwed up on this problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
jcd2012 said:
For the rod, MoI = 1/12ML

Check this formula. All moments of inertia should have dimensions of mass*length2

Welcome to PF,

Your equation for the moment of inertia of the thin rod is obviously wrong just by inspection, because it has the wrong dimensions. It should have dimensions of mass*length^2, but it has dimensions of mass*length.

Related to Moment of Inertia of a Rod with Two Uniform Masses Attached

1. What is the moment of inertia of a rod with two uniform masses attached?

The moment of inertia of a rod with two uniform masses attached is a measure of the resistance of the rod to rotational motion around its axis. It takes into account the distribution of mass along the length of the rod.

2. How is the moment of inertia of a rod with two uniform masses attached calculated?

The moment of inertia of a rod with two uniform masses attached can be calculated using the formula I = (1/12) * M * L^2, where M is the total mass of the rod and L is the length of the rod.

3. What factors affect the moment of inertia of a rod with two uniform masses attached?

The moment of inertia of a rod with two uniform masses attached is affected by the mass and distribution of the masses along the length of the rod. It also depends on the length and shape of the rod.

4. How does the moment of inertia of a rod with two uniform masses attached affect its rotational motion?

The moment of inertia of a rod with two uniform masses attached determines how easy or difficult it is to change the rotational motion of the rod. A larger moment of inertia means that more torque is needed to change its rotational motion.

5. Can the moment of inertia of a rod with two uniform masses attached be changed?

Yes, the moment of inertia of a rod with two uniform masses attached can be changed by altering the mass distribution or shape of the rod. For example, adding more mass at one end of the rod will increase its moment of inertia.