Moment of inertia of a suspended cylinder

In summary: Remember to always think about what equations you have and what you need to find to eliminate any unknowns.
j_namtirach

Homework Statement

A uniform cylinder 20 cm long, suspended by a steel wire attached to its mid-point so that its long axis is horizontal, is found to oscillate with a period of 2 seconds when the wire is twisted and released. When a small disc, of mass 10 g, is attached to each end the period is found to be 2.3 seconds. Calculate the moment of inertia of the cylinder about the axis of oscillation.

Homework Equations

L = Iω
I = ∑(mr^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

angular velocity of cylinder, ω = 2π/2 = 3.14 rad/s

angular velocity of cylinder with discs, ω = 2π/2.3 = 2.73 rad/s

Conservation of angular momentum:

Iω = Iω(1) + 2 (mr^2)ω(1)

3.14I = 2.73I + 2 x (0.01 x 0.1^2) x 2.73

0.41I = 5.46 x 10^-4

I = 1.33 x 10^-3 kg m^2

The correct answer is 6.2 x 10^-4, so I am way off. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey there. So, conserving momentum won't be of use here, since both situations are independent of one another. Instead, since this is a situation involving torsion pendulums, think of the equations relevant to those. The key one is
$$\omega^{2} = \frac{\kappa}{I}$$
Where ##\kappa## is the torsion constant of the wire. Since this isn't given, you can't use this equation to find the rotational inertia directly. Instead, if you have two equations, you can eliminate it to be able to find the inertia of the cylinder.

Thank you for the quick reply.

I'm still a little confused here. Is the mass of the discs not significant for this problem? I don't see how I can simply use the above equation to find the moment of inertia, since I don't know either the moment of inertia or the torsion constant. Sorry, I'm obviously not picking up on something here.

The idea is to create two equations to eliminate the torsion constant, since it's not given. So the first equation will use the period, torsion constant, and the moment of inertia of the cylinder, and the second one will use the other period, torsion constant, and the moment of inertia of the cylinder plus the inertia of the disks. Using both you can eliminate the torsion constant, and then solve for the moment of inertia of the cylinder since it will be the only unknown left.

Ok, thank, I got it:

for the cylinder: c = ω^2 I

for the cylinder + discs: c = ω(1)^2 I + ω(1)^2 (2(mr^2))

So: ω^2 I = ω(1)^2 I + ω(1)^2 (2(mr^2))

I got to the correct answer from here.

Thanks a lot for your help!

No problem! Glad you got it all worked out.

Related to Moment of inertia of a suspended cylinder

What is the moment of inertia of a suspended cylinder?

The moment of inertia of a suspended cylinder is a measure of its resistance to rotational motion. It is commonly denoted by the symbol I and is calculated by multiplying the mass of the cylinder by the square of its distance from the axis of rotation.

How is the moment of inertia affected by the shape of the cylinder?

The moment of inertia is directly affected by the shape of the cylinder. A cylinder with a larger radius will have a greater moment of inertia compared to one with a smaller radius, assuming all other factors are the same. The distribution of mass also plays a role, as a cylinder with the majority of its mass located towards the center will have a smaller moment of inertia compared to one with evenly distributed mass.

What is the significance of the moment of inertia in rotational motion?

The moment of inertia is an important factor in rotational motion, as it determines how difficult it is for an object to rotate. Objects with a larger moment of inertia will require more torque to achieve the same rotational acceleration compared to objects with a smaller moment of inertia.

How does the moment of inertia change when the axis of rotation is shifted?

The moment of inertia changes when the axis of rotation is shifted because the distance between the mass and the axis of rotation changes. As the distance increases, so does the moment of inertia. This means that the moment of inertia is dependent on the choice of the axis of rotation.

Is the moment of inertia the same for all points on a suspended cylinder?

No, the moment of inertia is not the same for all points on a suspended cylinder. The moment of inertia is dependent on the distance from the axis of rotation, so points closer to the axis will have a smaller moment of inertia compared to points further away. However, the total moment of inertia for the entire cylinder remains the same regardless of the choice of axis of rotation.