Moment of Inertia of an L-shaped bar

In summary: So you can use the kinematic equation relating the acceleration and distance (no need for the angular velocity).In summary, the problem involves an L-shaped bar with a force applied at point A. The task is to determine the initial acceleration of point A, while neglecting friction and the thickness of the bar. To solve the problem, first the center of mass is calculated using equations (a) and (b). Then, the moment of inertia is calculated using Steiners Theorem. Next, the moment about G is found and used to calculate the angular acceleration. Finally, the initial acceleration of point A can be determined by using a kinematic equation relating acceleration and distance.
Kotten

Homework Statement

The L-shaped bar of mass m is lying on the horizontal surface when the force P is applied at A as shown. Determine the initial acceleration of point A. Neglect friction and the thickness of the bar.
(Sorry, don´t know how to get you a better picture)

L
B----------------
I
I L
I
P--------> I
A

Homework Equations

G=1/M*Sum(m_i*r_i) (a)
Sum(F_x)=ma_(Gx) (b)
Sum(F_y)=ma_(Gy) (c)
Sum(M_G)=I_G*alpha (d)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have calculated the center of mass, using eq (a), and got (from the bend of the bar)
G= -L/4 i -L/4 j
I also used eq (b) to get
P=ma_(Gx) ---> a_(Gx)=P/m
(c) gave
0=ma_(Gy) ---> a_(Gy)=0
and from (d) i got
P*3/4*L=I_G*alpha ---> alpha=(3PL)/(4*I_G )
And then I guess I have to calculate the moment of inertia for the figure, but I don´t know how to do that :/ Also I´m a bit confused, because this seems to me like a way to solve this problem, the chapter on how to calculate momento of inertia comes after this in the book. Is there another way to solve it? Or is this wrong and I´m missing something?

Physics news on Phys.org
Kotten said:
(Sorry, don´t know how to get you a better picture)
Use the "whiteboard" feature to create a diagram. Then you can cut and paste it into your post.

Thank you :)

Attachments

• 6.45.jpg
    6.45.jpg
    2 KB · Views: 1,326
Kotten said:
And then I guess I have to calculate the moment of inertia for the figure, but I don´t know how to do that :/ Also I´m a bit confused, because this seems to me like a way to solve this problem, the chapter on how to calculate momento of inertia comes after this in the book. Is there another way to solve it? Or is this wrong and I´m missing something?
It's not obvious to me how you'd solve it without first calculating the moment of inertia. I guess you'll have to read the next chapter! Hint: treat the L-shape as two straight rods.

Ok, thank you :)
I have now tried to calculate the moment of inertia:
I_GA=1/12*m/2*L^2
I_GB=--------II---------
That would give (using Steiners Theorem):
I_G=I_GA+m/2*(L/4)^2+I_GB+m/2*(L/4)^2=2(1/12*m/2*L^2+m/2(L/4)^2)=L^2*m(1/12+1/16)
I got the moment about G:
M_G=-Pkx(-1/4*Li+3/4*Lj)=1/4PL(3i+j)
And then I used that to get:
alpha=M_G/I_G=(PL(3i+j))/(4*L^2*m(1/12+1/16))=(P(3i+j))/(Lm(1/3+1/4))
But after that I´m not sure how to continue... I´ve got the acceleration of point O, and the angular acceleration, but how do I calculate the acceleration of A without knowing the angular velocity?

Kotten said:
But after that I´m not sure how to continue... I´ve got the acceleration of point O, and the angular acceleration, but how do I calculate the acceleration of A without knowing the angular velocity?
Hint: They ask for the initial acceleration.

Related to Moment of Inertia of an L-shaped bar

1. What is the moment of inertia of an L-shaped bar?

The moment of inertia of an L-shaped bar is a measure of its resistance to changes in rotational motion. It is a property of the bar's shape and mass distribution and is defined as the sum of the products of each small mass element in the bar and the square of its distance from the axis of rotation.

2. How is the moment of inertia of an L-shaped bar calculated?

The moment of inertia of an L-shaped bar can be calculated by dividing the bar into smaller, infinitesimal elements and using the parallel axis theorem to find the moment of inertia for each element. The moments of inertia for each element can then be added together to find the total moment of inertia for the entire bar.

3. What factors affect the moment of inertia of an L-shaped bar?

The moment of inertia of an L-shaped bar is primarily affected by its mass distribution and the distance of the mass from the axis of rotation. A greater mass and a larger distance from the axis of rotation will result in a higher moment of inertia.

4. How does the moment of inertia of an L-shaped bar affect its rotational motion?

The moment of inertia of an L-shaped bar determines how easily it can be rotated. A larger moment of inertia will result in a greater resistance to changes in rotational motion, making it more difficult to rotate the bar.

5. Can the moment of inertia of an L-shaped bar be changed?

The moment of inertia of an L-shaped bar can be changed by altering its mass distribution or its shape. For example, redistributing the mass closer to the axis of rotation will decrease the moment of inertia, making the bar easier to rotate.