Moment Of Inertia of broken disk or ring confusion

In summary: This is because the axis of rotation is still through the center of mass in both cases. In summary, the moment of inertia of a uniform rigid rod about an axis perpendicular to its length and passing through its center is MLsquare/12. If the rod is broken in half, the moment of inertia becomes MLsquare/24, which is half of the original moment of inertia. The same applies for a circular disk and a 3/4 ring, where the moment of inertia can be calculated using the integral formula. Splitting the rod or taking away part of the disk does not change the formula, as the axis of rotation remains the same.
easwar2641993
We all know that M.I of a Uniform rigid rod about an axis perpendicular to it's length and passing through it's center is MLsquare/12.Where M is mass and L is length of the rod. If it is broken to half such that M becomes M/2 and L becomes L/2,we can't apply ML square /12 formula to it.We have to apply the equation of M.I of rod about an axis passing through one of the ends and perpendicular to the length of it.That is MLsquare/3.If we apply the condition that M/2 and L/2 ,we could get ML square /24. That is exactly half of original moment of inertia.

I know well this much.
But my confusion begins
Suppose a ring of mass M and radius R.We know M.I of it is MR square.
But if 90degree sector of it breaks,such that it's mass becomes 3/4M. My Physics teacher says the broken ring's M.I then will be 3/4MR square.
My question is,as in the case of rigid rod,when it breaks, we just need another formula to find its MI. Similarly for this too,we have to use another formula right?
I have the same problem with circular disk too.

Physics news on Phys.org
The reason you apply a different formula in the case with the split rod is because the axis of rotation changed from the center of the object's mass to the edge of the object. When you take away part of the circle, the axis of rotation is still in the same spot, and the formula is unchanged.

These formulas cover up the real cause of the moment of inertia. A better way to understand moment of inertia is by the integral:
[itex]\displaystyle I = \int^{m}_{0}r^{2}\delta m[/itex]
All of the formulas for moment of inertia that you see in your textbook come directly from this integral. This integral also allows you to calculate the moment of inertia for any odd shape you like, including your 3/4-ring. The moment of inertia of the 3/4 ring is indeed still mr2 (m being the mass of the 3/4 ring, not the full ring).

Also, I'd like to point out that when you split the rod into 2 pieces, each rod accounts for 1/2 of the total moment of inertia, so:

[itex]\displaystyle \frac{I}{2}=\frac{(\frac{m}{2})(\frac{L}{2})^{2}}{3}[/itex]

[itex]\displaystyle \frac{I}{2}=\frac{ML^{2}}{24}[/itex]

[itex]\displaystyle I=\frac{ML^{2}}{12}[/itex]

If you plug in your variables and simplify, you end up with the exact same formula as the un-split bar.

Related to Moment Of Inertia of broken disk or ring confusion

1. What is the moment of inertia of a broken disk or ring?

The moment of inertia of a broken disk or ring refers to the measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is dependent on the mass distribution of the object and its distance from the axis of rotation.

2. How is the moment of inertia calculated for a broken disk or ring?

The moment of inertia for a broken disk or ring is calculated using the formula I = ½mr², where I is the moment of inertia, m is the mass of the object, and r is the distance of the object's mass from the axis of rotation.

3. How does the moment of inertia change if a disk or ring is broken?

If a disk or ring is broken, the moment of inertia will change depending on the location and distribution of the broken pieces. The mass distribution and distance from the axis of rotation will be altered, resulting in a different moment of inertia value.

4. What is the significance of the moment of inertia for a broken disk or ring?

The moment of inertia for a broken disk or ring is an important factor in determining the object's rotational motion. It affects how quickly an object will rotate and how much force is needed to change its rotation.

5. How is the moment of inertia of a broken disk or ring used in practical applications?

The moment of inertia of a broken disk or ring is used in various practical applications, such as in designing machines and structures that involve rotational motion. It is also used in engineering calculations for objects that experience rotational forces, such as wheels, gears, and flywheels.