Moment Of Inertia Of Non-uniform Rod

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the moment of inertia of a uniform rod with a mass added to it at a certain position. The ratio of the period of oscillation with the additional mass to the period without the additional mass is also being calculated. The conversation also covers finding the center of mass of the system and using the basic definition of moment of inertia for a point mass.
BOAS
Hello,

I am trying to find the moment of inertia of a uniform rod, that has a mass added to it at some position along it's length, which is equal to the mass of the rod itself, and the axis of rotation is at one end.

1. Homework Statement

A uniform, [itex]\mathrm{1.00m}[/itex] stick hangs from a horizontal axis at one end and oscillates as a physical pendulum with period [itex]T_{0}[/itex]. A small object of mass equal to that of the stick can be clamped to the stick at a distance [itex]y[/itex] below the axis. The system then has a period [itex]T[/itex].

Find the ratio [itex]\frac{T}{T_{0}}[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I know that the moment of inertia of a uniform rod with the axis about one end is equal to;

[itex]I = \frac{1}{3}ML^{2}[/itex]

The period of a physical pendulum is given by;

[itex]T = 2 \pi \sqrt{\frac{I}{mgd}}[/itex] where d is the distance from the pivot to the center of gravity. So, for the initial case, we have a period of

[itex]T_{0} = 2 \pi \sqrt{\frac{\frac{1}{3}ML^{2}}{mg\frac{L}{2}}} = 2 \pi \sqrt{\frac{2L}{3g}}[/itex]

I am stuck here though, because I don't know how to find a moment of inertia for the second case. I understand how to calculate moments of inertia of non-uniform rods using integration, but I don't have a function for the linear density...

Thanks for any help you can give!

Physics news on Phys.org
BOAS said:
I am stuck here though, because I don't know how to find a moment of inertia for the second case.
What's the second case? Where the mass is stuck to the rod? What's the moment of inertia of a point mass? Just add the separate moments of inertia to find the total.

Doc Al said:
What's the second case? Where the mass is stuck to the rod? What's the moment of inertia of a point mass? Just add the separate moments of inertia to find the total.

Thanks, I was making that far more complicated in my head than it needed to be.

How do I describe the center of mass of such an object? I need to find an expression that describes the center of mass as a function of y, the masses distance along the rod.

BOAS said:
How do I describe the center of mass of such an object? I need to find an expression that describes the center of mass as a function of y, the masses distance along the rod.

You treat it as a point mass i.e. the mass itself is dimensionless so it has no radius and so on to consider. So you use your basic definition of I for a point mass.

What will change is your center of gravity of the new system.

BOAS said:
You can find the center of mass of each separately (which is trivial, of course). Then treat them as two point masses for the purpose of find the center of mass of the system.

Doc Al said:
You can find the center of mass of each separately (which is trivial, of course). Then treat them as two point masses for the purpose of find the center of mass of the system.

So I have my uniform rod, and I say that the left end is at 0 and the right is at L. I treat the rod as a point mass at L/2. I then consider another point mass at position y, where y is between 0 and L somewhere along the length of the rod.

So the center of mass of the system is [itex]CM = \frac{M\frac{L}{2} + My}{2M}[/itex]

BOAS said:
So I have my uniform rod, and I say that the left end is at 0 and the right is at L. I treat the rod as a point mass at L/2. I then consider another point mass at position y, where y is between 0 and L somewhere along the length of the rod.

So the center of mass of the system is [itex]CM = \frac{M\frac{L}{2} + My}{2M}[/itex]
Exactly.

Thank you.

FAQ: Moment Of Inertia Of Non-uniform Rod

1. What is moment of inertia and how is it calculated for a non-uniform rod?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion. It is calculated by summing the products of each infinitesimal mass element and its square distance from the axis of rotation. For a non-uniform rod, this calculation involves integrating the mass and distance functions along the length of the rod.

2. How does the moment of inertia differ for a non-uniform rod compared to a uniform rod?

The moment of inertia for a non-uniform rod is different because the mass is not evenly distributed along its length. In a uniform rod, the mass is evenly distributed and the moment of inertia is simply calculated using the rod's length and mass. In a non-uniform rod, the varying mass distribution requires the use of integration to calculate the moment of inertia.

3. What factors affect the moment of inertia of a non-uniform rod?

The moment of inertia of a non-uniform rod is affected by the mass distribution, the shape of the rod, and the axis of rotation. A non-uniform rod with a higher mass concentration towards the ends will have a higher moment of inertia than one with a more even mass distribution. Additionally, the moment of inertia will be lower for a rod with a thinner cross-sectional area compared to a thicker one. The axis of rotation also affects the moment of inertia, with a larger distance from the axis resulting in a higher moment of inertia.

4. How is the moment of inertia of a non-uniform rod used in real-world applications?

The moment of inertia of a non-uniform rod is an important parameter in various engineering and physics applications. It is used to analyze the stability and strength of structures, such as bridges and buildings. It is also used in the design of rotating machinery, such as turbines and engines, to ensure their safe and efficient operation.

5. Can the moment of inertia of a non-uniform rod be reduced?

Yes, the moment of inertia of a non-uniform rod can be reduced by changing its mass distribution or shape. For example, adding weight to the middle of the rod or changing its shape to a thinner and longer one can decrease the moment of inertia. This is commonly done in engineering design to optimize the performance of structures and machinery.

Back