Moment of inertia of rectangular tube with welded flat bar

In summary, the conversation is about finding the moment of inertia total for a rectangular stainless steel tube with a flat bar welded on top of it. The calculations result in a new moment of inertia total of 22.15 in^4, which is confirmed to be correct. A tabular form is suggested for easier calculation and verification.
johnmech6718
hello,

I am trying to find the new moment of inertia total for a rectangular stainless steel 4"x2"x.25"thk with a 3"x.75" flat bar welded on top of the short side of the rectangular tube. The short side (.75") of the flat bar will be welded to the center of the rectangular tube to the 2" side, total height of 7". I am looking for the moment of inertia at the x-x axis. I get a new moment of inertia total of 22.15 in^4. Can anyone confirm that the total is correct? I have also attached my calcs for reference.

Attachments

• rect tube with flat bar.pdf
    23.2 KB · Views: 280
Engineering news on Phys.org
johnmech6718 said:
hello,

I am trying to find the new moment of inertia total for a rectangular stainless steel 4"x2"x.25"thk with a 3"x.75" flat bar welded on top of the short side of the rectangular tube. The short side (.75") of the flat bar will be welded to the center of the rectangular tube to the 2" side, total height of 7". I am looking for the moment of inertia at the x-x axis. I get a new moment of inertia total of 22.15 in^4. Can anyone confirm that the total is correct? I have also attached my calcs for reference.

Your calculations are correct.

You can extend your tabular form calculation by adding two columns to your original table as shown below:

Code:
Item     A      y-bar     Ay        Ay^2       I
I        8.0     2.0     16.0       32.0      10.67
II      -5.25    2.0    -10.5      -21.0      -5.36
III      2.25    5.5     12.375     68.06      1.69
----------------------------------------------------
Total    5.00  3.575     17.875     79.06      7.00

The Inertia about the combined centroid of the section:

INA = 7.00 + 79.06 - 5*3.575^2

INA = 22.16 in^4

This form is a little neater and easier to check.

Related to Moment of inertia of rectangular tube with welded flat bar

1. What is moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is often referred to as the rotational equivalent of mass.

2. How is moment of inertia calculated for a rectangular tube with welded flat bar?

The moment of inertia of a rectangular tube with welded flat bar can be calculated by using the formula I = 1/12 * (b * h^3 - (b - 2t) * (h - 2t)^3), where b is the outer width of the tube, h is the outer height of the tube, and t is the thickness of the flat bar.

3. Why is moment of inertia important in engineering?

Moment of inertia is important in engineering because it helps engineers understand how different objects will behave when subjected to rotational forces. This information is crucial in designing structures and machines that can withstand these forces without failing.

4. How does the moment of inertia change when the shape of the object is altered?

The moment of inertia changes when the shape of the object is altered because it is directly influenced by the distribution of mass in the object. Changing the shape of an object can alter its mass distribution and therefore affect its moment of inertia.

5. Can the moment of inertia be negative?

No, the moment of inertia cannot be negative. It is always a positive value since it represents an object's resistance to changes in rotational motion and cannot have a negative magnitude.