Moment of Inertia, working backwards

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to work out the values of b and d in the equation I=bd^3/12. The ratio between b and d is known to be 1.166, and the value of I is given. The problem is an engineering one, as the software only allows the use of square/rectangular or round sections, but a H section is being used and can be substituted with a rectangle of the same h/w ratio and moment of inertia. The conversation ends with the solution being found by putting the ratio into the moment of inertia equation and solving for d.
Niall
I've to work out b & d in this equasion.

I=bd^3/12

I know that the ratio between b & d in this case is 1.166 and I am given the value of I.

It is an engineering problem as the software will only allow the use of square/rectangular or round section but we are using H section and we are allowed to substitue a rectangle of the same h/w ratio and moment of inertia.

This kind of thing was never what I was much good at although I believe it may be possible to work out but I don't know how.
Thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Niall said:
I know that the ratio between b & d in this case is 1.166 and I am given the value of I.
Do you mean ##\frac{b}{d} = 1.166##? Then ##b = 1.166d##, put that into your equation for the moment of inertia, and solve for ##d##.

Yes , I managed to figure it out a few min ago.

Ixx = (D (1.116) * D ^ 3) / 12

D^4 = I * 12 * 1.116

D = 4√ I * 12 * 1.116

In your original post you used "d". In your response you used "D". It is a bad idea to switch symbols like that.

for reaching out with your question. I would approach this problem by first defining the variables and understanding the equation. Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in rotation. In this equation, I represents the moment of inertia, b represents the width of the object, and d represents the depth of the object.

To work backwards and solve for b and d, we can rearrange the equation to isolate b and d on one side. First, we can multiply both sides by 12 to get rid of the fraction:

12I = bd^3

Next, we can take the cube root of both sides to get rid of the exponent on d:

(12I)^(1/3) = d

Now, we can substitute the given ratio of 1.166 for b/d into the equation:

(12I)^(1/3) = (1.166d)^3

Solving for d, we get:

d = (12I)^(1/9) / 1.166

To solve for b, we can use the given ratio again:

b = 1.166d

Substituting the value of d we just solved for, we get:

b = 1.166(12I)^(1/9) / 1.166

Simplifying, we get:

b = (12I)^(1/9)

So, to summarize, to solve for b and d in this equation, we first rearrange the equation and isolate d. Then, we substitute the given ratio for b/d and solve for d. Finally, we use the given ratio again to solve for b. I hope this helps and good luck with your engineering problem!

FAQ: Moment of Inertia, working backwards

1. What is moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is a physical property that quantifies the rotational inertia of an object. It is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion.

2. How is moment of inertia calculated?

Moment of inertia is calculated by integrating the mass of each individual particle in an object multiplied by the square of its distance from the axis of rotation.

3. How does moment of inertia affect an object's rotation?

Objects with a higher moment of inertia require more torque to achieve the same angular acceleration as objects with a lower moment of inertia. This means that objects with larger moments of inertia will have slower rotational speeds.

4. Can moment of inertia be negative?

No, moment of inertia cannot be negative. It is a physical property and therefore must have a positive value.

5. How is moment of inertia related to an object's shape?

The moment of inertia of an object is directly related to its mass distribution and shape. Objects with a more spread out mass distribution have a higher moment of inertia compared to objects with a more concentrated mass distribution.

Back