Moment of inertia, x and y coordinates

In summary, the perpendicular-axis theorem states that the sum of moments of inertia about two perpendicular axes in the plane of a thin, plane sheet is equal to the moment of inertia about an axis perpendicular to the sheet and passing through its origin. This theorem applies even if the origin is not at the center of mass. Using this theorem, the moment of inertia for a thin washer with mass M and inner and outer radii R_{1} and R_{2} can be found to be \frac{1}{4}M(R_{1}^{2}+R_{2}^2). Additionally, for a thin, square sheet with mass M and side L, the moment of inertia about an axis passing through the center of the
kottur

Homework Statement

Consider a rigid body that is a thin, plane sheet of arbitrary shape. Take the body to lie in the xy-plane and let the origin O of coordinates be located at any point within or outside the body. Let [itex]I_{x}[/itex] and [itex]I_{y}[/itex] be the moments of inertia about the x- and y-axes, and let [itex]I_{O}[/itex] be the moment of inertia about an axis through O perpendicular to the plane.

1. By considering mass elements [itex]m_{i}[/itex] with coordinates [itex](x_{i},y_{i})[/itex], show that [itex]I_{x}+I_{y}=I_{O}[/itex]. This is called the perpendicular-axis theorem. Note that point O does not have to be the center of mass.

2. For a thin washer with mass M and with inner and outer radii [itex]R_{1}[/itex] and [itex]R_{2}[/itex], use the perpendicular-axis theorem to find the moment of inertia about an axis that is in the plane of the washer and that passes through its center. You may use the information in Table 9.2 in the textbook (which is University physics with modern physics, 13th ed.) Express your answer in terms of the given quantities.

3. Use the perpendicular-axis theorem to show that for a thin, square sheet with mass M and side L, the moment of inertia about any axis in the plane of the sheet that passes through the center of the sheet is [itex]\frac{1}{2}ML^{2}[/itex]. You may use the information in Table 9.2 in the textbook.

Homework Equations

[itex]I_{P}=I_{cm}+Md^{2}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer to 1. is just the proof of the theorem isn't it? I can use this website: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/perpx.html

The answer in 2. is [itex]I=\frac{1}{4}M(R_{1}^{2}+R_{2}^2)[/itex] because I can see the answers to odd-numbered questions in the textbook but I don't know how to get there.

Physics news on Phys.org
The answer in 3 is \frac{1}{2}ML^2. I know that for a thin, square sheet the moment of inertia about an axis passing through the center of the sheet will be \frac{1}{2}ML^2 but I don't know how to prove it using the perpendicular-axis theorem.

Related to Moment of inertia, x and y coordinates

1. What is the definition of moment of inertia?

The moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is calculated by summing the products of each particle's mass and its squared distance from the axis of rotation.

2. How is moment of inertia related to an object's shape?

The moment of inertia is directly proportional to an object's shape. Objects with a larger radius of gyration, or distance from the axis of rotation, have a larger moment of inertia. This means that objects with a more spread out mass distribution will have a higher moment of inertia than objects with a more concentrated mass distribution.

3. What is the difference between x and y coordinates in moment of inertia?

The x and y coordinates in moment of inertia refer to the axis of rotation around which the moment of inertia is calculated. The x axis is typically chosen as the horizontal axis, while the y axis is the vertical axis. The moment of inertia for an object can be calculated separately for each axis.

4. How does moment of inertia affect an object's rotational motion?

The moment of inertia plays a crucial role in determining an object's rotational motion. Just as mass affects an object's linear motion, moment of inertia affects an object's rotational motion. Objects with a higher moment of inertia will require more torque to achieve the same angular acceleration as objects with a lower moment of inertia.

5. How is moment of inertia used in real-world applications?

Moment of inertia is used in many real-world applications, including designing vehicles and structures for stability and rotational motion. It is also important in understanding the motion of celestial bodies and in sports such as gymnastics and figure skating, where athletes must control their moment of inertia to perform certain movements and tricks.

Back