Moments,Center of Mass, & Centroid

In summary, to find Mx, My, and the coordinates (x bar, y bar) for the laminas of uniform density ρ bounded by the graphs of the equations x=-y and x=5y-y2, the general form of the relevant equations should be used. These equations are m= ∫f(x)-g(x) dx, my= ∫x(f(x)-g(x)) dx =>x bar my/m, and mx= 1/2 ∫ (f(x))2-g(x))2dx => y bar=mx/m. However, in this particular case, the roles of x and y appear to be reversed, so the formulas used will need to be adapted or derived for this
chapsticks

Homework Statement

Find Mx,My, & (x bar, y bar) for the laminas of uniform density ρ bounded by the graphs of the equations. (Use rho for ρ as necessary.)
x=-y
x=5y-y2

Homework Equations

m= ∫f(x)-g(x) dx
my= ∫x(f(x)-g(x)) dx =>x bar my/m
mx= 1/2 ∫ (f(x))2-g(x))2dx => y bar=mx/m

The Attempt at a Solution

So this is my work

x=-y <-- g(y)
x=5y-y^2 <----f(y)

a=0
b=6

*note I don't know how to put 0 to 6 on the integral

m=p ∫ [(5y-y^2)-(y)]dy
=p [3y^2 -(y^3/3)]= 36 p

My= p∫[(5y-y^2)+((-y)/2)][(5y-y^2)-(-y)]
=p/2∫ (4y-y^2)(6y-y^2)dy
=p/2∫ (y^4-10y^3+24y^2) dy
= p/2 [(y^5/5)-(5y^4/2)+8y^3]
=216/5 p is wrong I don't know why :?:

Physics news on Phys.org
The general form of the relevant equations is
\begin{align*}
m &= \iint \rho\,dx\,dy \\
M_x &= \iint \rho y\,dx\,dy \\
M_y &= \iint \rho x\,dx\,dy
\end{align*}
When the region of interest is between x=a and x=b and is bounded on the top by f(x) and on the bottom by g(x), you get the equations you cited. For instance, for the moment about the x-axis, you get
$$M_x = \rho \int_a^b \int_{g(x)}^{f(x)} y\,dy\,dx = \rho \int_a^b \left.\frac{y^2}{2}\right|_{g(x)}^{f(x)} \,dx = \frac{1}{2}\rho \int_a^b [f(x)^2-g(x)^2]\,dx$$
If you sketch the region for this particular problem, however, you'll see the roles of x and y appear to be reversed, so the formulas you were trying to use don't work. You'll need to derive the correct ones or adapt the ones you have for this particular case.

Related to Moments,Center of Mass, & Centroid

What is a moment?

A moment is a measure of the tendency of a force to rotate an object about a specific axis. It is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the force by the distance between the force and the axis. Moments are often used in physics and engineering to analyze the stability and equilibrium of systems.

What is the center of mass?

The center of mass is the point where the entire mass of an object is concentrated. It is the point at which the object would balance if it were placed on a narrow support. In a uniform gravitational field, the center of mass is also the point at which the object's weight can be considered to act.

How is the center of mass calculated?

The center of mass can be calculated by finding the weighted average of the positions of all the particles that make up the object. This involves multiplying the position of each particle by its mass and then dividing by the total mass of the object. In some cases, the center of mass can also be found by symmetry or using mathematical equations.

What is the difference between center of mass and centroid?

The center of mass and centroid are often used interchangeably, but they are not exactly the same. The center of mass refers to the point where the entire mass of an object is concentrated, while the centroid refers to the point where all the weight of an object is evenly distributed. In other words, the center of mass involves the mass of an object, while the centroid involves the weight of an object.

Why is it important to know the center of mass and centroid?

Knowing the center of mass and centroid is important for understanding the stability and equilibrium of objects, as well as for designing structures and machines that are balanced and functional. It is also crucial in fields such as physics and engineering for analyzing the motion and behavior of systems. Additionally, knowledge of the center of mass and centroid can also aid in optimizing the performance and efficiency of various systems and processes.