Momentum and Conservation of Momentum Problem

In summary, the problem involves a 2 kg firework shot vertically at a velocity of 50 m/s. At a height of 50 m, the firework explodes into two equal particles. The first particle moves horizontally at 30 m/s. The questions are: 1) What is the velocity and momentum of the firework when it reaches a height of 50 m? 2) What is the horizontal velocity of the second particle after the explosion? 3) What is the velocity and direction of the second particle? 4) What is the kinetic energy of the second particle when it reaches the floor? The solution involves finding the horizontal velocity and velocity of the second particle, which may be difficult to determine based on the
ilanmichaeli

Homework Statement

hello. i tried to solve for the problem, which was quite difficult for me and I'm not sure whether i approached it correctly, so if someone will help me figure it out thank you!

the problem:
1. a 2 kg firework is shot vertically, at v=50 m/s
a. what is the velocity and momentum of the firework as it reaches a height of 50 m'?
b. in the height of 50 m' the firework explodes into two equal particles. particle 1 moves horizontally in 30 m/s.
what's the horizontal velocity of particle 2 after the explosion? what's the velocity of particle 2 and it's direction.
c. what's the kinetic energy of particle 2 when it reaches the floor?
upload_2015-8-25_19-0-1.png

this is my answer, explaining all the steps i took:
upload_2015-8-25_20-24-32.png

Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/87789[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
It's kind of hard to read your hand writing. So I didn't check it in detail.

DEvens said:
It's kind of hard to read your hand writing. So I didn't check it in detail.
thank you, sorry.. i tried to make it as organized as i could.. the thing that was hard for me the most was to find what's the horizontal velocity and velocity for the second particle.

Related to Momentum and Conservation of Momentum Problem

1. What is momentum and why is it important in physics?

Momentum is a fundamental concept in physics that describes the motion of an object. It is defined as the product of an object's mass and velocity. Momentum is important because it helps us understand how objects interact with each other and how they respond to forces.

2. How is momentum conserved in a closed system?

In a closed system, momentum is conserved, meaning that the total momentum of the system remains constant. This is known as the law of conservation of momentum. This means that if two objects collide, the total momentum before the collision will be equal to the total momentum after the collision.

3. What is an example of a momentum and conservation of momentum problem?

An example of a momentum and conservation of momentum problem is a collision between two objects with different masses. In this problem, the initial momentum of the two objects will be equal to the final momentum after the collision, according to the law of conservation of momentum.

4. How do you calculate the momentum of an object?

The momentum of an object can be calculated by multiplying its mass by its velocity. The formula for momentum is p = mv, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity. The unit for momentum is kg*m/s.

5. What factors affect the momentum of an object?

The momentum of an object is affected by its mass and its velocity. A larger mass or a higher velocity will result in a greater momentum. Additionally, external forces, such as friction, can also affect the momentum of an object.

Back