Momentum and Impulse questions

In summary, the problem involves a 45-kg boy jumping onto a 5-kg skateboard with a velocity of 5 m/s and a time duration of 0.05 s. The goal is to determine the total normal force exerted by the ground on the skateboard during the impact. Using the equations (Fnet)(delta t) = (delta p) = mvf-mvi, where vi=0, and calculating the horizontal and vertical components, the total normal force is found to be -2009.5N. However, this does not match any of the given multiple choice options. To find the mistake, it is important to ensure that the correct mass is used when calculating the initial momentum components before the impact and
sugz

Homework Statement

The 45-kg boy has taken a running jump from the upper surface and lands on his 5-kg skateboard with a velocity of 5 m/s in the place of the figure as shown. If his impact with the skateboard has a time duration of 0.05 s, determine the total normal force N exerted by the ground on the skateboard wheels during the impact. The speed is 30 degrees below the horizontal.
a. 1.73 kN b. 2.22 kN c. 2.74 kN d. 2.44 kN e.None of these

Homework Equations

(Fnet)(delta t) = (delta p) = mvf-mvi, where vi=0
vfx=(-1)*(5sin30)
vfy=5cos30

The Attempt at a Solution

Fx = mvf/(delta t)
Fx = [(50)(5)*cos(30)]/0.05 = 4330.12 N
Fy = mvf/(delta t)
Fy = [(50)(5)*(-1)*sin(30)]/0.05 = -2500

The force equations for the boy on the skateboard:

(Fnet)y=-2500=Fn-mg
=-2500+(50)(9.81)
=-2009.5N

Is my answer correct? This does not seem to be any of the multiple choices give. If incorrect, please help me find where I made the mistake.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
sugz said:

Homework Statement

The 45-kg boy has taken a running jump from the upper surface and lands on his 5-kg skateboard with a velocity of 5 m/s in the place of the figure as shown. If his impact with the skateboard has a time duration of 0.05 s, determine the total normal force N exerted by the ground on the skateboard wheels during the impact. The speed is 30 degrees below the horizontal.
a. 1.73 kN b. 2.22 kN c. 2.74 kN d. 2.44 kN e.None of these

Homework Equations

(Fnet)(delta t) = (delta p) = mvf-mvi, where vi=0
vfx=(-1)*(5sin30)
vfy=5cos30

The Attempt at a Solution

Fx = mvf/(delta t)
Fx = [(50)(5)*cos(30)]/0.05 = 4330.12 N
Fy = mvf/(delta t)
Fy = [(50)(5)*(-1)*sin(30)]/0.05 = -2500
Does the skateboard move with a vertical component, along with the boy, when the boy is in the air? The problem statement sounds to me as if the boy lands on the skateboard, when the skateboard was already, firmly on the ground.

If only the boy was moving in the air with a vertical component, what is the mass of what was moving vertically? (50 kg or 45 kg?)

[Edit: In other words, make sure you are using the correct mass when calculating the initial momentum components before the impact.]

The force equations for the boy on the skateboard:

(Fnet)y=-2500=Fn-mg
=-2500+(50)(9.81)
=-2009.5N

Is my answer correct? This does not seem to be any of the multiple choices give. If incorrect, please help me find where I made the mistake.

I think you might have subtracted in there somewhere when you meant to add. [Edit: remember, impulse is equal to the body's change in momentum. You must subtract off the initial momentum component from the final momentum component to find the change in the vertical momentum. I think you got your signs mixed up in there somewhere.]

Last edited:

Related to Momentum and Impulse questions

1. What is the difference between momentum and impulse?

Momentum is a measure of an object's tendency to continue moving in the same direction at the same speed, while impulse is the change in an object's momentum over time. In other words, momentum is a quantity of motion, while impulse is a force applied over a certain period of time.

2. How is momentum calculated?

Momentum is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity. The formula for momentum is p = m * v, where p represents momentum, m represents mass, and v represents velocity.

3. What is the conservation of momentum?

The conservation of momentum states that in a closed system, the total momentum of all objects before a collision or interaction is equal to the total momentum of all objects after the collision or interaction. This means that momentum is conserved and does not change, even though individual objects may experience changes in momentum.

4. How does impulse relate to force?

Impulse is directly related to force, as it is defined as the product of force and time. The greater the force applied to an object or the longer the force is applied, the greater the impulse and resulting change in momentum.

5. How can momentum and impulse be used in real-life situations?

Momentum and impulse are important concepts in physics and have many practical applications. They are used to understand the behavior of objects in collisions and other interactions, such as in sports and car accidents. They are also used in engineering to design safer and more efficient products, such as airbags in cars that decrease the impulse and force experienced by passengers during a collision.