Momentum/Conservation of Momentum

• Thread starter tallbus1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Momentum
In summary, the ice skater throws a snowball with a velocity of 32.0 m/s and a second skater, initially at rest, catches the snowball with a velocity of 0 m/s.
tallbus1

Homework Statement

A 65.0 Kg ice skater is moving to the right with a velocity of 2.50 m/s throws a .0150 kg snowball to the right with a velocity of 32.0 m/s relative to the ground
a. What is the velocity of the ice skater after throwing the snowball? Disregard the friction between the skates and the ice.
b. A second skater initially at rest wit ha mass of 60.0 kg catches the snowball. What is the velocity of the second skater after catching the snowball in a perfectly inelastic collision?

Homework Equations

Pf=Pi
P=mv

The Attempt at a Solution

Here's my issue, I don't see how to find the affect of the impulse on the velocity
a.Pf=Pi
mfvf=mivi
(65.0)(vf)=(65)(2.5)

b.
Pf=Pi
mfvf=mivi
(60kg)(?)=0 <At rest

Am I on the wrong track? Can I use F=p/t?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
use conservation of momentum, don't think about impulse. if you need more help, ask.
update: so I am procrastinating from doing my own homework, so i did your problem and scanned it

Last edited:
Right but what I don't understand is how to take into account the skater's initial velocity, final velocity, and the effect the throwing has on the velocity

You have the momentum set up with just the skater. When using conservation of momentum, it has to be the whole system (anything affecting the momentum).

Hey man, don't just give the answers away. The idea of this section is for homework help, not homework solutions.

Well the once sentence answers weren't really getting me anywhere. So the answer by him actually helped. I realized that I needed to be doing, and it gave me a better overall understanding of the section

So you can incorporate the momentum of multiple objects into a conservation of momentum problems? Then add them together to solve for one variable?

Basically what I was trying to say was that momentum is based on a whole system. So the intial momentum of both the snowball and the skater, will equal the final momentum of them both.

So if for example, the problem went on to say the first skater then threw one more snowball, I could add a m3 and a v3?

yes! (if you do it the right way :P)

Dougggggg said:
Hey man, don't just give the answers away. The idea of this section is for homework help, not homework solutions.

if you never see the right way to do it, how can one expect you to do it correctly? one sentence responses are not what anyone needs for any type of help.With this he can study the solution to the problem and use it as a model for similar problems and not need to come to pf for this type of problem again.

(i should have just said a picture is worth a thousand words)

Regardless, thank you both for the answers, today in class I had a very easy time and inelastic VS. Elastic Momentum was a breeze, also systems with 3 or 4 objects were made easier with the help of you guy's insight.

Thank you

Related to Momentum/Conservation of Momentum

1. What is momentum?

Momentum is a measure of an object's motion, defined as the product of its mass and velocity. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. What is conservation of momentum?

Conservation of momentum is a fundamental law of physics that states that the total momentum of a closed system (a system that does not interact with anything outside of it) remains constant over time. This means that in any interaction between objects, the total momentum before the interaction must be equal to the total momentum after the interaction.

3. How is momentum calculated?

Momentum is calculated by multiplying an object's mass (m) by its velocity (v), using the formula: p = m * v. The SI unit for momentum is kilogram-meter per second (kg-m/s).

4. What is an example of conservation of momentum in action?

A common example of conservation of momentum is a collision between two billiard balls. Before the collision, both balls have a certain momentum in a specific direction. After the collision, the total momentum of the two balls will remain the same, but they may have changed direction or have a different distribution of momentum between them.

5. How does momentum relate to Newton's laws of motion?

Momentum is closely related to Newton's laws of motion, specifically the second law which states that the net force acting on an object is equal to the rate of change of its momentum. This means that a change in an object's momentum is directly proportional to the amount of force applied to it.