Momentum hw problem, steel ball dropped from h

In summary, the problem involves a steel ball falling and rebounding multiple times on a scale, which displays an average force Favg. The force is calculated using the momentum principle and physical constants, and the velocity of the ball when it rebounds can be calculated using equations for motion under gravity.
physics1311

Homework Statement

A steel ball of mass m falls from a height h onto a scale calibrated in Newtons. The ball rebounds repeatedly to nearly the same height h. The scale is sluggish in its response to the intermittent collisions and displays an average force Favg, such that FavgT = FΔt, where FΔt is the impulse that the ball imparts to the scale during the brief time Δt of each collision, and T is the time between collisions.

Calculate this average force in terms of m, h, and physical constants.

Homework Equations

momentum principle, delta(p)=Fnet delta(t)
update position, delta(r)=v(initial)delta(t) + a/2*delta(t)
delta(r) = v(avg)delta(t)
v(f)^2 =v(i)^2 +2a(∆x)

The Attempt at a Solution

use second equation
h=g/2*T^2 then rearange to get T= sqrt(2h/g)
(I think there's initial velocity, but I need help computing it)
that can be plugged into the final equation for T

I'm sort of lost on how to convert the impulse into different units and need help on this also

Physics news on Phys.org
Right. I think the first thing to do is to calculate the velocity at which the ball 'rebounds' from the ground. As soon as the ball leaves the ground, it is acted on only by gravity, and reaches a height h. And you want to know the velocity it had when it left the ground.

You've probably done this problem before under the title "maximum height a ball reaches when thrown vertically"

FAQ: Momentum hw problem, steel ball dropped from h

1. What is momentum and how is it related to this problem?

Momentum is a property of an object that describes its motion and is calculated by multiplying its mass by its velocity. In this problem, the momentum of the steel ball is affected by its mass and velocity as it drops from a certain height.

2. How do I calculate the momentum of the steel ball?

Momentum is calculated by multiplying the mass of the steel ball by its velocity. The mass of the steel ball can be measured in grams or kilograms, and the velocity can be calculated using the equation v = √(2gh), where g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2) and h is the height from which the ball was dropped.

3. What happens to the momentum of the steel ball as it falls?

As the steel ball falls, its momentum increases due to the acceleration of gravity. This means that its speed and velocity also increase. However, as the ball reaches the ground, its momentum will decrease as it comes to a stop.

4. How does the height from which the steel ball is dropped affect its momentum?

The height from which the steel ball is dropped directly affects its momentum. The higher the ball is dropped from, the more potential energy it has, which translates into a higher velocity and momentum as it falls.

5. What factors can affect the momentum of the steel ball in this problem?

The mass, velocity, and height from which the steel ball is dropped are the main factors that can affect its momentum. Other factors that may also play a role include air resistance, friction, and the surface on which the ball lands.