Momentum in two different k-points

• Thread starter hokhani
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Momentum
In summary, true momentum and crystal momentum are not the same and can be different values for different points in the Brillouin zone.
hokhani
For two different points [itex] k[/itex] and [itex] k\prime [/itex] in the Brillouin zone, can we have the same momentum? (By momentum I mean the real momentum, not the crystal momentum [itex]\hbar k[/itex] or [itex]\hbar k\prime[/itex]).

Physics news on Phys.org
hokhani said:
For two different points [itex] k[/itex] and [itex] k\prime [/itex] in the Brillouin zone, can we have the same momentum? (By momentum I mean the real momentum, not the crystal momentum [itex]\hbar k[/itex] or [itex]\hbar k\prime[/itex]).
Sure, e.g. phonons all have true momentum=0, independently of the k value. For other particles, like electrons, doesn't have a well defined value in crystals, i.e. the electron is not in a momentum eigenstate. Hence, the momentum distribution of electrons with different k values will in general overlap, so that it is possible to obtain the same momentum when measuring it.

I think maybe not for Bloch wave states, although I am not sure.
If there is crystal momentum at some real momentum p would be shown in ##<n, k| p>##
$$\psi_{nk}(x) \propto e^{ik\cdot x} u_n(x)$$
$$<n, k| p> \propto \int dx e^{i(p/\hbar - k)x}u_{n}(x)$$
This can be interpreted as a Fourier transform. Because ##u_n## is periodic it will only have Fourier components at certain frequencies.
$$p/\hbar - k = G$$
for any
$$G = g_1\mathbf{b}_1 + g_2\mathbf{b}_2 + g_3\mathbf{b}_3,\, g_i \in \mathbb{z}$$
with ##b_i## being reciprocal lattice vectors.
Note that this does not mean that there is a momentum component at that value of ##k##, it just means there could be. Whether or not it does depends on ##u_n##.
So, although each ##k## couples to many different values of momentum, it seems those values of momentum are not shared with others in the same B.Z. But you will not get the values of ##p##to overlap for two ##k## in the same BZ. I am trying to illustrate this idea with the following crude picture.
tV0qByr.png

You would have to go out of the BZ to get another value of k that corresponded to the same p. Once outside the BZ you could add a reciprocal lattice vector.
$$p_0/\hbar = k_1 + \underbrace{0}_{G_1} = \underbrace{k_1 + \mathbf{b}_1}_{k_2} - \mathbf{b}_1 = k_2 + G_2 $$
So
$$k_2 =k_1 + \mathbf{b}_1$$ would also correspond to the same momentum ##p_0##. This was by using a different value of ##G##, ## G_2 = - \mathbf{b}_1 ##. But by adding ##b_1##, we left the BZ of ##k_1##.

Last edited:
MisterX said:
I think maybe not for Bloch wave states, although I am not sure.
Yes, I think so but if we take the expectation value of momentum, namely p=m vgroup , where vgroup is proportional to the slope of energy band, it seems reasonable to have the same momentum at different points of BZ.

DrDu said:
Sure, e.g. phonons all have true momentum=0, independently of the k value. For other particles, like electrons, doesn't have a well defined value in crystals, i.e. the electron is not in a momentum eigenstate. Hence, the momentum distribution of electrons with different k values will in general overlap, so that it is possible to obtain the same momentum when measuring it.

I am confused. When an electron absorb a phonon, it receives both the energy and momentum of that phonon; and a phonon mode is characterized by its energy and momentum (wavevector), and all modes in one branch have their energy-wavevector characteristics face, correct?

Second, as an electron is not in a momentum eigenstate, it would not be associated with any specific k value. But I agree with that the electron will take a k value once it is measured.

zhanhai said:
I am confused. When an electron absorb a phonon, it receives both the energy and momentum of that phonon; and a phonon mode is characterized by its energy and momentum (wavevector), and all modes in one branch have their energy-wavevector characteristics face, correct?
You are confusing true momentum p and crystal momentum (or wavevector) k. When an electron absorbs a phonon, the wave vector is conserved up to a lattice vector. True momentum is also conserved, but it is not carried by the phonon, but by the whole crystal.

Related to Momentum in two different k-points

1. What is momentum in two different k-points?

Momentum in two different k-points refers to the momentum of a particle or system in two different points in the Brillouin zone. The Brillouin zone is a mathematical construct used to describe the allowed energy states of a particle in a periodic crystal lattice. The k-points are specific points within the Brillouin zone that represent different energy states.

2. Why is momentum in two different k-points important in physics?

Momentum in two different k-points is important because it helps to describe the behavior of particles in a crystal lattice. It is a fundamental concept in condensed matter physics and is used to understand the electronic and optical properties of materials. By studying the momentum in different k-points, scientists can gain insights into the behavior of electrons and other particles in solids.

3. How is momentum in two different k-points measured?

Momentum in two different k-points can be measured using techniques such as angle-resolved photoemission spectroscopy (ARPES) or scanning tunneling microscopy (STM). These techniques involve exciting electrons in a material and measuring their energy and momentum as they travel through the crystal lattice. The resulting data can be used to map out the momentum in different k-points.

4. What is the significance of the energy-momentum dispersion relation in two different k-points?

The energy-momentum dispersion relation, also known as the band structure, describes how the energy of a particle changes with its momentum in different k-points. This relation is important in understanding the electronic properties of a material, such as its conductivity and optical properties. It can also reveal information about the underlying crystal structure and symmetry of a material.

5. Can momentum in two different k-points be manipulated?

Yes, momentum in two different k-points can be manipulated by applying external forces or by modifying the crystal lattice. For example, by applying an electric field, the energy-momentum dispersion relation can be shifted, leading to changes in the behavior of particles in the material. This manipulation of momentum in different k-points is essential for the design and development of new materials with specific electronic and optical properties.