Momentum of a vertical stream of water hitting a surface

In summary: I think I understand what you're trying to do now. You're looking to find an equation that describes the relationship between height and volume artefact. You might be able to do this by finding the mass of water in the jug at different heights and then solving for the momentum.
velvet
Hello there, I have a question, I wonder if you can help me.

Homework Statement

I am using scales to measure the volume of liquid coming from a bottle, and then differentiating this volume to give flow rate. The bottle emits a constant flow rate and I hold it so that the stream falls vertically, collecting in a jug on the scales. When the stream of liquid initially hits the scales, it creates a momentum artefact, i.e. a 'spike' in the flow rate which then settles down to the correct flow rate. Obviously this spike also appears at the end of the flow, but this time negative.

I am investigating the size of this artefact when the bottle is held at different heights from the scales, and if it can be modeled. I would like to come up with an equation to describe the relationship but I am not sure how to go about this.

Homework Equations

Acceleration due to gravity, g = 9.81 metres per second squared
Force = rate of change of momentum
Momentum = mass x velocity
Flow rate from bottle = constant
1litre = 1kg

The Attempt at a Solution

I have poured the water from several different heights, and calculated the area under the flow rate 'spike', i.e. the volume artefact. The area under the artefact seems to increase with the square root of the height. (It looks like that sort of relationship but I am not sure. I believe if I plotted 'height of bottle' against 'area under artefact', the curve would tend towards becoming flat, which a height curve does not.)

I think my problem is that the volume of water in the jug is constantly changing so I am not sure which mass to use in the calculations.

Many thanks :)

Physics news on Phys.org
How dramatic is the spike? Maybe you could get a graph and post a jpg file of what you're seeing. My hypothesis is that when you first hit the scale you are seeing some recoil from the first drops that hit the scale, which gives you more then a factor of 1, but less than a factor of two, for the change in momentum that translates to force. Once you have more liquid on the scale, the substance is no longer recoiling because of the liquids cohesion.

Hello, thank you for your reply.

This graph shows the flow rate curves, the curve on the left is with the bottle held closest to the scales and that on the right, the farthest away (those that don't increase are anomolies because I have done it again more carefully since and with repeats):

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o158/alisonbray/Flowratevtime.png

This graph shows the relation between area under spike (volume artefact) and distance between bottle nozzle and impact surface:

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o158/alisonbray/Heightvartefact.png

Many thanks :)

Attachments

• Flow rate v time.png
    Flow rate v time.png
    33.4 KB · Views: 487
  • Height v artefact.png
    Height v artefact.png
    9 KB · Views: 499

Related to Momentum of a vertical stream of water hitting a surface

1. What is momentum?

Momentum is a measure of the quantity of motion of an object. It is calculated by multiplying the mass of an object by its velocity.

2. How is momentum related to the vertical stream of water hitting a surface?

The momentum of a vertical stream of water hitting a surface is directly related to its velocity. The greater the velocity of the water, the greater its momentum.

3. What factors affect the momentum of a vertical stream of water?

The momentum of a vertical stream of water can be affected by several factors, including the velocity of the water, the mass of the water, and the angle at which it hits the surface.

4. How does the momentum of the water affect the surface it hits?

The momentum of the water can cause a force to be exerted on the surface it hits. This force can result in the surface being pushed or moved, depending on the strength of the momentum.

5. Can the momentum of a vertical stream of water be changed?

Yes, the momentum of a vertical stream of water can be changed by altering its velocity or mass. For example, increasing the velocity of the water will increase its momentum, while decreasing the mass of the water will decrease its momentum.