Momentum of falling objects on impact; p = mv not working?

In summary, the bale of hay will strike the ground at an angle of ~162° due to the curvature of its path.
exi
Got the first part; the second part of the question asks what angle of inclination the bale will strike, given between -180° and 180°. Drawn out, this seems to resemble a right triangle with a 65 m height, 200.4188 m length (initial X velocity = 55 m/s, time of 3.6422 s), and the inverse tangent of that is 17.970° - yet neither that nor ~162° seem to work. Why not?

Homework Statement

A plane, flying due east at 55 m/s, drops a bale of hay from an altitude of 65m.

Acceleration due to gravity: 9.81 m/s².

If the bale of hay weighs 173 N, what's the momentum of the bale the moment it strikes the ground? Answer in kg∙m/s.

The Attempt at a Solution

Since momentum is just the product of mass and velocity, what I tried to do is consider y-axis movement only; that is,

[tex]V_0 = 0 \frac{m}{s}[/tex]

[tex]a = 9.8 \frac{m}{s^2}[/tex]

[tex]\Delta y = 65 m , \mbox so:[/tex]

[tex]v^2 = v_0^2 + 2a\Delta x[/tex]

Solving that, velocity comes out to 35.711 m/s. Since the bale's weight is 173 N, then 173 / 9.8 = 17.653 kg. Multiplying that weight by the above velocity would seem to me that it should produce the correct answer, but it does not; why?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
because momentum is a vector and you've only considered the y component. you have to consider both and then find the resultant vector

ice109 said:
because momentum is a vector and you've only considered the y component. you have to consider both and then find the resultant vector

My mistake; got it now.

Thanks for the reminder.

Edited original post to try and figure out what I'm screwing up now.

Did you get the answer?

momentum and velocity are vectors.

In Cartesian coordinates, [tex]v\,=\,\sqrt{v_x^2\,+\,v_y^2\,+\,v_z^2}[/tex], where v is the speed or magnitude of the velocity, and then momentum is just the product of the mass (scalar) and velocity (vector).

In the OP, just use vx and vy.

Last edited:
Astronuc said:
Did you get the answer?

momentum and velocity are vectors.

In Cartesian coordinates, [tex]v\,=\,\sqrt{v_x^2\,+\,v_y^2\,+\,v_z^2}[/tex], where v is the speed or magnitude of the velocity, and then momentum is just the product of the mass (scalar) and velocity (vector).

In the OP, just use vx and vy.

Yes, I did - it's the angle of impact that's got me now.

[tex]tan(\theta)=\frac{opp}{adj}[/tex]

ice109 said:
[tex]tan(\theta)=\frac{opp}{adj}[/tex]

True. But apply this to the final velocity vector itself. The path of the bale (approximate hypotenuse) of the triangle you are looking at is actually curved.

One has vx and vy

So, what does one do with vy / vx with components measured at impact.

Astronuc said:
One has vx and vy

So, what does one do with vy / vx with components measured at impact.

Not sure what you're getting at. Using a straight line for the approximate trajectory of the bale would seem to suffice, and since I had what I thought to be both vertical and horizontal displacement, it would seem to me that taking the tangent of those figures would've done it - but it doesn't.

Treating the trajectory as a straight line would a lousy and unnecessary approximation. Forget about displacement. Focus on the velocity at impact. (Reread Astronuc's hints.)

If only I were graded on my ability to needlessly complicate things.

[tex]65.5761cos\theta = 55[/tex]

[tex]\theta = cos^{-1}\frac{55}{65.5761} = 32.994^{\circ}[/tex]

Much appreciated.

Related to Momentum of falling objects on impact; p = mv not working?

What is momentum and how does it relate to falling objects on impact?

Momentum is a measure of an object's motion, calculated by multiplying its mass (m) by its velocity (v). In the case of falling objects, momentum is important because it determines how much force will be generated upon impact.

Why might the equation p = mv not work for calculating momentum in all situations?

The equation p = mv only works for objects moving at a constant velocity. In real-world situations, such as falling objects, the velocity is constantly changing due to factors like air resistance and gravity. Therefore, a different approach is needed to accurately calculate momentum in these situations.

What factors can affect the momentum of a falling object on impact?

The momentum of a falling object on impact can be affected by its mass, velocity, and the force of gravity. Other factors such as air resistance, the surface it is falling onto, and any external forces can also impact the momentum.

How can we accurately calculate the momentum of a falling object on impact?

To accurately calculate the momentum of a falling object on impact, we need to use the equation p = mv, but with a slight modification. Instead of using the object's initial velocity, we must use its average velocity, which takes into account the changes in velocity due to external factors during the fall.

Why is momentum important when studying the impact of falling objects?

Momentum is important when studying the impact of falling objects because it allows us to understand the amount of force that will be generated upon impact. This can help us design structures and safety measures to better withstand or absorb the impact of falling objects.