Momentum problem involving collision of two objects.

In summary, a tennis player swings her 1000 g racket with a speed of 5.00 m/s and hits a 60 g tennis ball at 13.0 m/s. The ball rebounds at 37.0 m/s. The velocity of the racket after the impact is 2 m/s. If the tennis ball and racket are in contact for 15.0 seconds, the average force that the racket exerts on the ball is equivalent to the change in momentum of the ball divided by the time. The average force is in the opposite direction of the initial velocity of the ball and is greater than the gravitational force on the ball.
angotta
1. A tennis player swings her 1000 g racket with a speed of 5.00 . She hits a 60 g tennis ball that was approaching her at a speed of 13.0 . The ball rebounds at 37.0 .
Part A:How fast is her racket moving immediately after the impact? You can ignore the interaction of the racket with her hand for the brief duration of the collision.
part B:If the tennis ball and racket are in contact for 15.0 , what is the average force that the racket exerts on the ball?

2. Homework Equations :
I would assume pf=pi and also p=mv where p is momentum

3. The Attempt at a Solution
I found the initial momentum of the racket to be 5Ns and the initial momentum of the ball to be -.78 Ns
Then I attempted to find the final velocity of the racket and was stuck...I tried to first use the equation for momentum with a mass of 1.06 kg b/c that is the mass when the objects are in a system. the velocity final should be 37 m/s due to the fact that the rebound velocity is that, but I don't know where to go or what to do.

Physics news on Phys.org
OK. Using your numbers you have 5N-s -.78N-s before the collision. After the collision you have the ball at 60*37 = 2.22N-s (Note your units are not N, but N-s)

That means you need to still account for 2N-s with the racket.

Its mass is 1 kg so it's going at 2N-s/1kg = 2m/s then right?

Your units on the time are not available for Part B. But you will want to consider the Δmv of the ball over the time interval to determine the average force.

F = m*a = mΔv/Δ t = Δmv/Δt

LowlyPion said:
OK. Using your numbers you have 5N-s -.78N-s before the collision. After the collision you have the ball at 60*37 = 2.22N-s (Note your units are not N, but N-s)

That means you need to still account for 2N-s with the racket.

Its mass is 1 kg so it's going at 2N-s/1kg = 2m/s then right?

Your units on the time are not available for Part B. But you will want to consider the Δmv of the ball over the time interval to determine the average force.

F = m*a = mΔv/Δ t = Δmv/Δt

That helped a lot thank you

I have almost the exact question...
A tennis player swings her 1120 g racket with a speed of 10.6 m/s. She hits a 50 g tennis ball that was approaching her at a speed of 20.5 m/s. The ball rebounds at 43.9 m/s
I found the Vf of the racket but for the second part it asks...
If the tennis ball and racket are in contact for 10.52 ms, what is the average force that the racket exerts on the ball? How does this compare to the gravitational force on the ball?

I thought i found the correct anwser by subtracting the velocities, then multiply by mass of the racket, then divide by the time. It is saying it is wrong... What am I doing wrong?

talaroue said:
I have almost the exact question...
A tennis player swings her 1120 g racket with a speed of 10.6 m/s. She hits a 50 g tennis ball that was approaching her at a speed of 20.5 m/s. The ball rebounds at 43.9 m/s
I found the Vf of the racket but for the second part it asks...
If the tennis ball and racket are in contact for 10.52 ms, what is the average force that the racket exerts on the ball? How does this compare to the gravitational force on the ball?

I thought i found the correct anwser by subtracting the velocities, then multiply by mass of the racket, then divide by the time. It is saying it is wrong... What am I doing wrong?

What they gave you was the change in velocity of the ball. Shouldn't you want to consider the Δp of the ball that involves the mass of the ball and not the racket?

Keep in mind too that the velocities are vectors and the velocity of the ball reverses.

LowlyPion said:
What they gave you was the change in velocity of the ball. Shouldn't you want to consider the Δp of the ball that involves the mass of the ball and not the racket?.
Pi=Pf so if the momentuem Pb(momentuem of the ball), and Pr(momentuem of racket). Since intitally they are coming at each other Pi= Pb+Pr...correct, Then Pf=Pb-Pr since then are going opposite directions?

Keep in mind too that the velocities are vectors and the [B said:
velocity of the ball reverses[/B].

so are you saying instead of subtracting, I should add them because of the fact that one is going in the positive direction and then the negative direction?

talaroue said:
Pi=Pf so if the momentuem Pb(momentuem of the ball), and Pr(momentuem of racket). Since intitally they are coming at each other Pi= Pb+Pr...correct, Then Pf=Pb-Pr since then are going opposite directions?

so are you saying instead of subtracting, I should add them because of the fact that one is going in the positive direction and then the negative direction?

I'm less certain why you are interested in the momentum of the racket, since they are asking for the force on the ball aren't they?

But as to your question about the velocities, they are subtracted, but as you say they are in opposite directions so ...
... it does result in |v| + |v'|.

Last edited:
o ok... when i said racket i meant ball i understand now. thanks

Related to Momentum problem involving collision of two objects.

1. What is momentum?

Momentum is a measure of an object's motion, determined by its mass and velocity.

2. How is momentum calculated?

Momentum is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity.

3. What happens to momentum in a collision?

In a collision between two objects, the total momentum before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision, according to the law of conservation of momentum.

4. What is the difference between elastic and inelastic collisions?

In an elastic collision, both kinetic energy and momentum are conserved, while in an inelastic collision, only momentum is conserved. Inelastic collisions involve a loss of kinetic energy due to deformation or other factors.

5. How does the mass and velocity of objects affect the outcome of a collision?

The mass and velocity of objects involved in a collision play a significant role in determining the outcome. Objects with greater mass and velocity will have a greater momentum, and thus a greater impact on the other object in the collision. Additionally, the direction and angle of the objects' motion can also affect the outcome of the collision.