Momentum: Same for 200lb Barbell vs Rubber Bands?

• Thread starter Ron77
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Momentum
In summary, a person performing a bench press exercise with a real barbell weighing 200 lbs and a person performing the same exercise with rubber bands providing 200 lbs of downward tension will have the same momentum. This is because momentum is defined as mass times velocity, and both individuals have the same velocity. However, the effect of mass on momentum can also be defined as force divided by gravitational acceleration, and the rubber bands can provide a variable force that can compensate for the difference in mass. Ultimately, the two scenarios will have the same effective momentum. It is also worth noting that the definition of momentum can vary and may not always align with common intuition.
Ron77
Hi Folks,

Question on momentum.

I have been talking with someone who is more educated than I, especially in math, but they are saying something that just doesn't make sense to me. I do realize that physics doesn't always make 'sense' so thought I'd ask on here. He said I would need calculus to understand why, but the answer, almost seems intuitive...

Here it is..

He says that both of these will have the same momentum even though one has about 20 times the mass of the other and V is the same.

1) A person laying on their back does a bench press exercise with a real barbell weighing 200 lbs at a certain velocity

2) Another person laying on their back does a bench press exercise at the same velocity, but the resistance is provided by rubber bands that provide 200 lbs of downward tension. (like a Soloflex exercise machine)

I am thinking that number 2 will have almost zero momentum. It seems that no matter how fast you moved your arms, if you stopped, the 10 pound bar with the bands attached would 'stick to your hands' so to speak, but an actual weight would have the tendency to 'keep in motion' moreso.

Also, I read that the definition of momentum is on the order of how hard it is to change the direction of an object. One could easily reverse the direction from traveling upward to downward if tension is provided by elastic materials, but if provided by a real weight with mass, it would be harder to change from upwards, to a downward movement... right?

Thanks,
Ron

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ron77 said:
I am thinking that number 2 will have almost zero momentum. It seems that no matter how fast you moved your arms, if you stopped, the 10 pound bar with the bands attached would 'stick to your hands' so to speak, but an actual weight would have the tendency to 'keep in motion' moreso.
Your thinking is correct. So how does your friend define momentum if not mass times velocity?

krab said:
Your thinking is correct. So how does your friend define momentum if not mass times velocity?

I'm not sure, he said "Your using that formula?" Then said I needed to understand calculus for him to explain.
The only thing that throws me is he's one of the smartest and most knowledgeable people I've ever met, so if we differ, I always assume he's right and I'm wrong.
This one just bugged me as I am usually far above average with mechanical and spatial problems, and I could almost 'feel' how momentum would be by just thinking about it..

Well, there is an equivalence between the two.

Define momentum as p = m v, where m is mass of the object in motion and v is the velocity.

But what is m, or rather the effect of m?

Let's define m as F/g, or the force, F, divided by the local gravitational acceleration.

Then p = F/g v.

F can be provided by mg or kx, where k = spring constant and x is the displacement, so if one could devise a way so that F/g = kx over the range of x, then they would have the same effective momentum.

so one could also say p = (kx/g) v.

As far as the person doing the work there is no difference.

In reality though, kx provides a variable force F, whereas mg is constant. I am not familiar with Soloflex and other systems so I am not sure show they compensate for this.

youre mathematically inclined friend is not in touch with physics
you re thinking is more correct than his.

FAQ: Momentum: Same for 200lb Barbell vs Rubber Bands?

1. What is momentum?

Momentum is a measure of an object's motion, specifically the product of its mass and velocity. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is momentum calculated?

Momentum is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity. The formula for momentum is p = mv, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity.

3. Is momentum conserved in a closed system?

Yes, according to the law of conservation of momentum, the total momentum of a closed system remains constant. This means that if there are no external forces acting on the system, the total momentum before and after an interaction will be the same.

4. How does the momentum of a 200lb barbell compare to that of rubber bands?

The momentum of an object is directly proportional to its mass and velocity. Since a 200lb barbell has a greater mass than rubber bands, it will have a greater momentum at the same velocity.

5. Why is momentum important in physics?

Momentum is important in physics because it helps us understand the behavior of moving objects and interactions between them. It is also a fundamental concept in many areas of physics, including mechanics, thermodynamics, and electromagnetism.

Back